Qubes Community template - Kali - issue updating

Hi,

I use Qubes for some time and I found a strange issue which I am struggling with.

Qubes 4.1, full updated dom0, kali template from repo installed:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=install --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing kali
… it takes some time to install…

Than I start the kali template and run standard update procedure (I know I should use Qubes Manager but I will explain this later on):

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

… at the end I get 96 packages which were not updated/upgraded, because they are on hold (I can paste the list later on). Ok, so I let it update and finish. I stopped the template, run it again, everything runs well. Then I used the Qubes Manager and Update function … now the issue… the xterm window where the update runs suddenly disapears, leaving template running. Any option to start anything including Console fails… cannot connect to qrexec agent…

I suspect that the update procedure using Qubes Manager is using “sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade” which causes helded packages to be upgraded. At the end, even I restart the template, I cannot anyhow connect to the template. Yes, appvms’ which are using template are affected as well.

Do you have any clues how to update/upgrade correctly kali template? Thx for any clues or useful hints.

Note: I used Kali rolling template which I created from Debian-11 template, but I stuck at the end with the same issue… update window disapear and I cannot connect to template anymore.

For now the Kali upgrade is broken because of conflicts with Qubes packages:

1 Like

That’s well appreciated!

I’ve been away.

This is not true. I have a kali template (dont use it much, as I prefer
Parrot), and I am able to update it.
The normal rules apply - hold the Qubes packages, update and upgrade,
unhold the Qubes packages and update them, mark them as hold again,
update other packages. (As per Index of /Templates)

I have an updated kali template available at https://qubes.3isec.org if
you want to try that.

If you have a specific problem, please post sufficient detail so that we
can solve it.