Qubes-App-Shutdown-Idle script not working Debian 11

Fresh 4.1 install and updated.

Installed Qubes-app-shutdown-idle package in Debian-11 templateVM.

The gui shutdown idle option is disabled

Also

Qvm-service —enable vmname shutdown-idle in Dom0 has no effect

Restart template, Qubes?
What is your /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qubesidle/idleness_monitor.py looks like?

1 Like

Looks pretty standard timeout is set to 15* 60 seconds

Yup restarted both multiple times

**Now get this ** when I create a clone of the Debian-11 template … it works (ie gui is enabled for shutdown idle)

I am truly perplexed. This is a fresh install and this was the first config I set after updating.

Rename the template to something else, rename the clone to debian-11, point all VMs that were pointed to the original template to cloned template and then delete original template.

Works for me.
The fact that a cloned template works, suggests that it works for
you.
If you want to troubleshoot:
Check the running processes in a qube - you are looking for
qubes-idle-watcher
Edit the config file to a short timeout.
Kill the qubes-idle-watcher process, and restart it.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
1 Like

The process won’t start at all, manually even from terminal. What are the options?
journalctl -f while trying to start it gives nothing. As sudo, only this is found

Nov 19 20:43:09 host sudo[3680]: user : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/user ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/qubes-idle-watcher
Nov 19 20:43:09 host sudo[3680]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root(uid=0) by (uid=1000)
Nov 19 20:43:10 host sudo[3680]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

What command are you running?
What is the output?

It can be seen above
$(sudo) /usr/bin/qubes-idle-watcher (alone and with start, restart)

to no avail. Nothing in output. Sorry I thought it was obvious from journalctl log…

executable is there in /usr/bin

After updating qrexec today all over the Qubes (and certain python libraries), “Shutdown qube” option became available finally.

As I’ve been going through converting qubes to be one-app named DVMs or even one-app regular AppVMs, it has become more and more annoying to me that after I close the app the qube continues to run. And I forget to explicitly shut it down. I solved this by altering the desktop file for the app, so that it points to a script that runs the app, then calls powerdown.

I like that a little better than just automatically shutting qubes down if they’re idle, because sometimes I get interrupted and have to step away for longer than the timeout, and in that case I do not want the qube to automatically shut down. I want it to shut down when I am done with it, though–and I’m done with it when I close the app. Also if for some reason I need to do something in an Xterm (like test-tweak a config file), closing the Xterm does not kill the qube like it might for a disp2468 type disposable; I can then start my app.

1 Like