Problem with Whonix inside Qubes/Debian host

I try to create a Whonix setup based on a Debian host inside QubesOS for testing purposes.
However, I get this error. I guess it has to do with virtualization. Can anybody please help me?

sudo virsh -c qemu:///system define Whonix-Gateway*.xml
error: invalid argument: could not find capabilities for domaintype=kvm 

What is it you are trying to test?
Is there a good reason why you are not using the standard Whonix
integration with Qubes?

1 Like

I try to run Whonix inside my main OS (Qubes).
I need it for making screenshots. It is not for security/privacy. Only for “playing” with Whonix without a second computer.

I try to run Whonix inside my main OS (Qubes).

Yes? So why not use the standard Whonix integration that already exists? See the documentation: How-to: Install Qubes-Whonix

I need it for making screenshots. It is not for security/privacy. Only for “playing” with Whonix without a second computer.

Yes… See above.

Sure. I use Whonix with QubesOS on a daily basis. However, I need to install Whonix KVM based on a Linux host like Debian. Can you please help me with the install on Debian?
I cloned a Debian 10 and run the Whonix install process. Works fine with a native Debian host (without QubesOS).
However, with Qubes I get this error:

I guess it is kernel problem…

Qubes doesn't expose hardware virtualisation to VMs, meaning that KVM will not work in Qubes VMs without a lot of work to enable nested virtualisation.

You really need to answer the "Why" question above. If you have Whonix working in Qubes, what is the point of this? Unless you can give a well reasoned answer to that, Whonix on KVM on Qubes will be far more effort than it's worth.

And the question is best asked at Whonix fora in any case.

I agree. Linking it here:

Thanks for all the replies.
I wanted to test/document the use of Whonix on the Debian distribution. However, if it is so difficult to achieve, I will get a second PC for documentation.
What would be the necessary steps (without real emphasis on security - quick and dirty)?