Possible glitch in KDE menuing (and other menus too) for Qubes disposable templates

I’ll start by repeating my last comment here…which wasn’t set up as a reply to you, so I don’t know if you’ll see it otherwise. Then, after that, I have more information.

************* OK, New information *************

It looks like what bollixed deb11a-base up was a line in my salt where I set the default-menu-items. I was setting both that and menu-items, to a list of stuff I hadn’t yet installed–but did actually install on the qube in the next salt file. (I had the same line in “earlier” templates but it just put in qube startup and xterm.)

I tried issuing the same command after the qube had been set up and the reference software installed, and…no luck. Which is just as well; instituting that on all qubes would be a royal pain. Anyhow, I’m removing that line from my salt jinja include for creating templates–particularly since I’m not quite sure what it actually is used for anyway.

Another discovery: If you use the menu-item features while creating a disposable VM template, it messes up again. In that case, you have to set default-menu-item.

So you must use menu-item on the templateVM and you must use default-menu-item on the DVM Template.

I have one residual issue. If I am creating the DVM template for the sole purpose of supporting a named disposable virtual machine, I generally don’t want to set the feature appmenus-dispvm (I don’t want to create disp1234 DVMs from this). What happens then is the dvm template shows as “Qube”. That’s not too big a deal because the behavior is correct; if you start something up, it runs in the DVM template. It’s potentially confusing, though. (This clears up by simply running settings and refreshing applications.)

Did you find any solution to this, except renaming back and forth?

Somewhere else…I don’t know where…I described a procedure I discovered that didn’t involve renaming but did involve having to start the qube up, shut it down, change the menu…ridiculous but not as time consuming as two renames.

I found out in the process of switching to 4.2…that almost everything works well (no gymnasitics needed at all) provided you’re very careful about qube-start.

When dealing with a disposable template, there are two menus that can be generated: one is the menu to actually control the template itself, the other is the menu to launch the disp1234 based on that template. (You get the second menu if you set the feature “appmenus-dispvm” to true. You always get the first one.) In the latter case you cannot have qube-start in the menu without a lot of crazy stuff to get it to show up (and it’s even more difficult in 4.2 than it was in 4.1). It makes sense not to have it, actually, since is disp1234 needs something to do, or it will just shut down immediately.

I had to do a bit of fiddly work with my scripts that regenerate VMs to get this to be done properly, but I no longer have to start qubes up and do changes of menus after I generate them, just to get menus to work right.

The price I pay is I can’t just have start-qubes on one of these templates, when I want to actually run the template. But in those cases, I just start an xterm or the file manager (if there is one), since that’s probably what I’m going to do anyway [generally if I am running a template as a template, I’m trying to debug something].

1 Like