No Network (Broadcom Network Card)

hallo all
at the first sorry for my englich so i download the qubes os iso and burn it in usb 8Giga
boot from bios as we do complet installation untilit done well
when reboot the system to finish cofiguration and selecting …when done it stop and nothing work no mouse no keybord … i hold the power to reboot …and hit quit
so the system is on and no network or choice at the top to select wifi and when i plugin the cable ethernet no connection too nothing change
i have dell E5520 laptop i5 with 4 giga
brodcom 802;11 NETWORK ADAPTER
NET EXTREM 57XX GIGABYTE
i search and do all sollution in youtub

THANKS

Just a small reminder that English is not required, so no need to apologize!

If you choose to write in English, please do not apologize for doing so poorly, as it is unnecessary. We understand and will ask for clarification if needed.

:slight_smile:

So WiFi doesn’t work and ethernet is also not working, correct? It is likely some incompatibility issue with the network card of your device.

On this other discussion a user also has a broadcom, maybe it can help:

If that doesn’t work and nobody else is able to provide much more help, perhaps the solution is to get an alternative network card.

Edit: @ibiri as a side-note 4GB of RAM may not be enought. I’ve created a discussion topic for this here: Is 4GB of RAM enought for running Qubes OS?.

Edit 2: forgot to mention. I’ve edited the title to make it more specific.

A post was split to a new topic: Is 4GB of RAM enought for running Qubes OS?

Tank you very much sir so
it stay no wifi no ethernet
i try with sim card dangle also no internet
iwill change the laptop or apgrade RAM to 8 GIGA
i will tell if sloved thanks

oh at the end of installation it stop at setup network no keybord no mous work
i thnk the problem the ram or change the card network

Hi @ibiri ,

English

This forum contains an in-your-language section with Spanish, Deutsch and Chinese.
So in the in-your-language section, you can try to get help with theses languages or try with your native language.
But we understand your English, so you can also continue with this language!

Network

With exotic network devices, an external USB NIC (Network Interface Controller) could help. It’s a step to get network access, then It’s simpler to update with the drivers and firmware required for your internal NICs (ethernet and wifi).

thanks man i will try
its realy great to answer me
thanksssss

Same here. Qubes doesn’t show a wi-fi device in my network manager. I have a Broadcom adapter and it shows up in the Device tab as 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom… Wireless Network Adapter.

Fortunately Ethernet works.

I know with other Linux installations like Ubuntu, I would have to download the driver to get it to work. Would this be the same issue in Qubes?

Yes, you should be able to use the Linux driver. You would need to install it in the TemplateVM.

Thank you. Unfortunately I haven’t found a driver or installation file that installed successfully so far.

If you tell us more precisely which errors you get and where, this community can try to help you.

It’s a Broadcom 4360. I think the relevant Debian driver installation instruction is here: wl - Debian Wiki

The install failed at step 2. The last few lines show:

Building initial module for 5.4.136-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.4.136-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package broadcom-sta-dkms (–configure):
installed broadcom-sta-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
Errors were encountered while processing:
broadcom-sta-dkms
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It’s a Broadcom 4360. I think the relevant Debian driver installation instruction is here: wl - Debian Wiki

The install failed at step 2. The last few lines show:

Building initial module for 5.4.136-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.4.136-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package broadcom-sta-dkms (–configure):
installed broadcom-sta-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
Errors were encountered while processing:
broadcom-sta-dkms
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

And what does the relevant section of
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/make.log tell you?

Thanks much. It’s working now after following your instructions here (plus added network-manager in Services tab) Networking basics on qubes - #3 by unman

I guess I was wrong thinking it worked. It installed without problems but there wasn’t a wireless network available. I connected the qube to sys-whonix and got connection but an available update notification appeared and the update reinstalled the broadcom driver with a newer version but the install failed like before. Also I was not able to start the qube again if both HVM and kernel off are selected.

Is there a reason why you haven’t posted the relevant section of the log?

Here’s the log. It seemed like you resolved the problem with your previous solution so I didn’t bother posting the log.

DKMS make.log for broadcom-sta-6.30.223.271 for kernel 5.4.143-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64 (x86_64)
Thu 09 Sep 2021 10:41:39 AM CDT
/bin/sh: 1: [: Illegal number:
/bin/sh: 1: [: Illegal number:
Wireless Extension is the only possible API for this kernel version
Using Wireless Extension API
KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make -C /lib/modules/5.4.143-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64/build M=pwd
make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add ‘+’ to parent make rule.
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/usr/lib/modules/5.4.143-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64/build’
CFG80211 API is prefered for this kernel version
Using CFG80211 API
Kernel architecture is X86_64
AR /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/built-in.a
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/shared/linux_osl.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c: In function ‘wl_pci_probe’:
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:780:2: warning: this ‘if’ clause does not guard… [-Wmisleading-indentation]
if ((val & 0x0000ff00) != 0)
^~
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:782:3: note: …this statement, but the latter is misleadingly indented as if it were guarded by the ‘if’
bar1_size = pci_resource_len(pdev, 2);
^~~~~~~~~
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.o
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.c: In function ‘wl_dev_ioctl’:
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.c:460:9: error: implicit declaration of function ‘get_ds’; did you mean ‘get_fs’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
set_fs(get_ds());
^~~~~~
get_fs
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.c:460:9: error: incompatible type for argument 1 of ‘set_fs’
set_fs(get_ds());
^~~~~~~~
In file included from ./include/linux/uaccess.h:11,
from ./arch/x86/include/asm/fpu/xstate.h:5,
from ./arch/x86/include/asm/pgtable.h:26,
from ./include/linux/mm.h:99,
from /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/include/linuxver.h:65,
from /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.c:26:
./arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h:29:40: note: expected ‘mm_segment_t’ {aka ‘struct ’} but argument is of type ‘int’
static inline void set_fs(mm_segment_t fs)
~~~^~
In file included from /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.c:43:
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.c: In function ‘wl_set_auth_type’:
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.h:52:5: warning: this statement may fall through [-Wimplicit-fallthrough=]
if (wl_dbg_level & WL_DBG_DBG) {
^
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.c:813:3: note: in expansion of macro ‘WL_DBG’
WL_DBG((“network eap\n”));
^
~
/var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.c:814:2: note: here
default:
^

cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:262: /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build/src/wl/sys/wl_cfg80211_hybrid.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1734: /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-sta/6.30.223.271/build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/usr/lib/modules/5.4.143-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64/build’
make: *** [Makefile:177: all] Error 2

Cheers.
Two things - I thought you were using a native kernel, but there’s a
reference to lib/modules/5.4.143-1.fc25.qubes.x86_64. Why ?
Then there’s the errors and “warnings being treated as errors” message - you can
try to work around this, but it’s better to see if you can get it fixed
at source, i.e. Broadcom
I found a few other similar reports online, not Qubes related.

Your suggestion to setup the standaloneVM as HVM resolved the installation problem. That log was from a prior attempt. That’s why I didn’t upload the log after it installed correctly.

But more problems occurred after the good install. I didn’t see the wireless connection option available in the network manager. Also I received a notification of an update available on the standaloneVM. When it updated, it ran into the kernel installation errors again. Also, now I can no longer start the standaloneVM while in HVM+no kernel. I deleted the standaloneVM and started over, but I still can’t get the new VMs to start either. There’s a log that’s a zillion lines that I couldn’t understand.

I figure out the HVM+no kernel = no start problem. The VM was based on a custom debian-10 and it was missing packages(s) to get it to start. But, I’m still at the point where the broadcom driver installed correctly but there’s still no wi-fi connection.

journalctl -b and look for entries relating to broadcom,
NetworkManager, etc.
Note any errors.