No internet in cloned template

I can’t connect to the internet from vms based on the template I cloned from fedora-33-minimal. I ran qvm-clone fedora-33-minimal new-template.

In new-template I installed brave, and used the proxy settings for rpm as suggested here. Everything installed properly. I even double checked the Qube settings in the gui with working vms, but no dice.

Curl does not connect either. Am I missing something simple?

check this similar problem

I don’t see an option in the Qubes manager for manual assignment of ip. I’ve found a bunch of documents all over the place. How would I assign the ip persistently and securely?

Update: I think I need to add more packages to have internet access in the appVM. Do I want to make this a NetVM, like listed here?

Trying to set this up right so I don’t end up compromising my security.

you shouldn’t do that unless you need a netvm

I’m actually don’t know how :sweat_smile:

how about check whenever the qubes-core-agent-network installed ?

I don’t see an option in the Qubes manager for manual assignment of ip.

You are supposed to assign the IP shown in the Qubes Manager inside the AppVM OS. On the “Basic” tab of your qube settings you will see something like this:

IP: 10.137.0.49
Netmask: 255.255.255.255
Gateway: 10.137.0.1
Virtual DNS: 10.129.1.1, 10.139.1.2

Inside your AppVM (e.g. Windows) go to your TCP/IP setting and change them from “automatic (DHCP)” to “manual” and use the numbers from your qube settings dialog.

For minimal Fedora is there a tool available for assignment, or do I have to install more packages? Will I have to install systemd to make this persistent? I’m just trying to avoid pulling in a bunch of extra packages.

I’m guessing configure a systemd unit file in the template, and have it pull in settings kept in home. Is this a secure means of doing that?

Fedora? Install qubes-core-agent-networking and you are done. It’s all documented on the website.

1 Like

this may not related but i wanted to share how i felt about the actual documentation.
the actual documentation often puzzle me so much unlike a thread like this one:

that thread much easier to understand, rather than the actual documentation. after reading the thread then re-reading documentation suddenly become make sense, to me that’s how a dummy guy like me learn something i guess.

1 Like

If the docs don’t work for you, make the change.
People complain about the docs, but don’t do anything about it. Don’t be
like them.
This is another thing anyone can do to make a difference to the
project.
Every page has a link to “How to edit the docs.”
If you can improve a page, make the change.

1 Like

that’s not my intention maybe if i confidence enough i might add something to the document, but as today i kept do what i can. that is sharing useful (what i thought so) in posts like this.

I also want to apologize to those who made the documents, if somehow i offend by my honest opinion. If somewhat that sound not constructive I’ll remove my post in 24hr.

No need for apologies.
I certainly don’t want to discourage anyone from making a contribution.

It’s a shame you don’t feel able to contribute yet.
Perhaps you could start by saying what was lacking from the doc, and what
that post helped you to understand: it’s quite long, so can you pick
out anything in particular that could be added to the docs?

Gentoo and Arch are the gold standard for documentation. There’s nothing on the Networking page about the required packages. Examples are typically helpful.

@Sven On a related note, do you get rid of templates for security reasons?

There are extensive examples on the minimal templates page
There is also a prominent health warning that minimal templates are for
advanced users. But for some reason many people seem to miss it.

On a related note, do you get rid of templates for security reasons?
Not sure what you are asking. Maybe if I get rid of templates that are EOL’ed?

I use all debian-minimal. There is a new version every 2 years and each EOL’s after approximately 5 years. When there is a new stable, I upgrade to the new stable and get rid of the old ones after a short safety period (until I am sure the new templates work fine).

I had almost two full years on buster and will now have smooth sailing until approx. August 2023. However if at that time I don’t feel like upgrading, I don’t have to do anything until August 2026.

Finally I have documented for myself all modifications I ever made to each of my templates in the form of bash scripts. So even when R4.1 is released, I will simply install the respective debian-minimal template, run my bash scripts and be done.

With those cycle times and the bash scripts EOL events are a non-issue to me.

Just as a new user the Qubes the documentation could use improvements. I’ll be submitting updates for the issues I find.

Great - look forward to seeing them.
I wish more users were like you.