New "general admin, security & privacy" category?

@fsflover @ludovic @fiftyfourthparallel @Sven I’ve redone the icon poll. Can you cast your vote again?

This was due to the late contenders, my non-providing a decent explanation as to why the user-shied didn’t get included (it’s the staff category one but we can change that one, I guess). Apologies for the inconvenience.

I guess I should have left it open for feedback for a few more days…

1 Like

You correctly understood that I meant free software, sorry for not being more clear. I agree that this forum is not a place for discussions on freedom of speech etc.

However, I disagree that free software is associated with Qubes. Qubes is associated with free software, but not vice versa. If you are thinking about Qubes, you may think about free software, but unlikely (despite possible) the other way. I agree with @ludovic that this category’s name/description should highlight that it’s for topics distinct from Qubes OS itself and not (directly) associated with it, even though related.

Fully agree here.

I agree with @ludovic that this category’s name/description should highlight that it’s for topics distinct from Qubes OS itself and not (directly) associated with it, even though related.

I am not a native speaker so at this point I should probably leave this
particular point to people who are.

which is also not me :wink:

Bumping this to see if anyone still wants to vote on the icon and name of the future category. Please do it in my above reply.

1 Like

I’ve now closed the polls. Thanks everybody for your participation. I hope people are satisfied. Even if these where not your preferred ones.

Here’s what we’ll go with:

• Category Name - All around Qubes
    (I’ll just leave here the notice that if many people are misunderstanding the title as in here we’ll have to go to the second option)

• Category Icon - fa-mug-hot mug-hot (I guess as in “cafe”)

• Category Color - yellow as no strong opposition arrived

• Category Short Description - there seems to be some disagreement on the exact wording of this. My proposal (trying to harmonize and reduce the size) would be:

Relevant but not specific to Qubes (security, privacy, software freedom, system administration, …). ← This is literally the already-decided criteria for inclusion.

What do you think about this? I mean, we can tweak it later, but I’d say this should not delay the category launch further.

• Inclusion criteria - relevant but not specific to Qubes OS

• Inclusion examples - @Sven, do you think the following examples are fine / representative?

• OpSec / Threat Modeling (security)
    • Is your browser fingerprint unique? (privacy)
    • Good books / presentations / tutorials about security / privacy / linux administration / …
    • How do I … on Debian/Fedora/Windows/…? (related to Qubes)
  • Exclusion criteria - relevant but not specific to Qubes OS

• about Qubes (belong to other categories)
    • not relevant at all to Qubes OS use
    • harmful to community / violates CoC
    • politics / activism of any kind

@Sven, I’ve tried to consolidate the proposed ones. See if you agree.

• Exclusion examples - @sven do you think these are fine?

• Category Moderator: @Sven

• Joining criteria: forum members (trust level 2)

We’re pretty close to finally having this open! :slight_smile:

Tagging: @fsflover @ludovic @rooftop @427F11FD0FAA4B080123 @oijawyuh @Sven @fiftyfourthparallel (those who voted)

1 Like

How about:
Relevant but not specific to Qubes; tangentially related to Qubes (security, privacy, software freedom, system administration, …).

I feel like both are similar ways of saying the same thing.

Yes, they are the same, but sometimes different people better understand one or the other thing. Just a suggestion.

OK for me.

Thank you @deeplow for all of this. I am OK with it the way you
summarized it.

1 Like

I feel like both are similar ways of saying the same thing.

me2

Thanks for the suggestion @fsflover. However less sometimes is more ;). Let’s keep it short and pay attention to eventual feedback from users about confusion with the description.

1 Like

@Sven, what do you think about the other points? Namely:

• inclusion examples
  • exclusion criteria
  • exclusion examples

@Sven, what do you think about the other points? Namely:

• inclusion examples
  • exclusion criteria
  • exclusion examples

I’m OK with the ones you listed. Let’s do this! :wink:

… also please point me to what I need to learn to mod. Will I get
notifications by email if I have to review something… etc?

1 Like

:partying_face:

Great news! The new forum category “All around Qubes” is finally open. See it here. As discussed before it is only available to trust level 2 users to make sure participants are already interested Qubes community members.

Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread with ideas and @sven for originally bringing up the issue and taking the role as moderator of this category.

4 Likes

Thank @deeplow and @Sven for all the coordination and the works which made this new category a reality. :clap:

2 Likes

@deeplow @sven Should we perhaps open the recently closed topics, https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/chrome-os-telemetry/2415/ and https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/1vyrain-should-i-install-core-boot-or-skulls/2636/ and move them into the new category?

1 Like

I was thinking of that. The thing is sometimes the users who created the discussion haven’t been active enough to access that category. So I don’t what what’s best

They will get the access when (if) time comes. Meanwhile, other people could already contribute.

1 Like