Need help installing Qubes OS

Hello, this is my first time installing Qubes OS and I own an Alienware Aurora and It has

1. m.2 nvme 500gb SSD (Win 11 OS)
  2. 2TB HDD
  3. 1TB 2.5 SSD
  4. 1TB 2.5 SSD
  5. m.2 nvme connected to motherboard via M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter.

So, after manually installing the 5th m.2 nvme via the adapter, I installed the disk and created a new simple volume as NTFS/GUI disk.

I followed the procedure to create a qubes OS installation flash drive and disabled the secure boot and booted using the qubesOS flash drive and did the test this media and install OS option and in the install destination I could see the disk number 2), 3) & 4) but not 1) & 5). I’m planning to install qubesOS in 5).

Do you guys know why 5) is it not showing up & how to successfully install it ?

you don’t need to format it (not sure what partition format anaconda support, ntfs might a problem)

@ppc Thanks for your reply. so what do I do from here ? Do I have to delete the partition ?

try it

@ppc No luck :frowning: Still the SSD is not showing up.

can i see the installation destination screen?

Qubes uses the Fedora installer.
There was a long standing issue with fedora not recognising NVME drives.
You could check this using a live Fedora iso, and then selecting
“install to disk”. Try it.

You do not say which version of Qubes you are trying to install - 4.0 is
based off Fedora 25, which will (may?) not work. 4.1 is based off much
more recent base system.

You could try checking the boot mode - if it is set to RAID, change that
to “AHCI” - this has been reported to work with Fedora 32. I do not know
if this will affect any other OS you have installed on those other
drives.

If you are dual booting please read the documentation so you are aware
of any risks and pit falls in advance.

Thank you for your reply,

1. I’ll try the fedora live iso today and see if the nvme shows up,
  2. I’m using Qubes release 4.1.0-rc3
  3. how do I change the boot mode to RAID or AHCI ? all I see in Alienware BIOS is option to change to UEFI or Legacy boot, and if I’m installing Qubes in a separate internal SSD ( 512gb m.2 nvme connected to motherboard via M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter.) will it affect my win 11 OS installed in a separate m.2 nvme SSD ?

@unman Upon checking the boot modes are set to AHCI, but the two nvme disks are still not showing up, I attached few photos from bios.

Hello, this is my first time installing Qubes OS 4.1.0-rc3 and I own an Alienware Aurora and It has

1. m.2 nvme 500gb SSD (Win 11 OS)
  2. 2TB HDD
  3. 1TB 2.5 SSD
  4. 1TB 2.5 SSD
  5. m.2 nvme connected to motherboard via M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter.

So, after manually installing the 5th m.2 nvme via the adapter, I installed the disk and created a new simple volume as NTFS/GUI disk.

I followed the procedure to create a qubes OS installation flash drive and disabled the secure boot and booted using the qubesOS flash drive and did the test this media and install OS option and in the install destination I could see the disk number 2), 3) & 4) but not 1) & 5). I’m planning to install qubesOS in 5).

Do you guys know why 5) is it not showing up & how to successfully install it ?

Has some of the mods split/moved the topic into this category, or this is duplicate of Need help installing Qubes OS?

1 Like

Sorry, in the previous post I didn’t get a solution, that’s why I thought someone might help, if I repost.

@Mephisto : please don’t do this again. I moved the posts from your new topic to this original topic.

try using qubes 4.1 if still doesn’t show, press ctrl+alt+f2 and run lsblk did you see nvme drive there ?

@ludovic @51lieal This is what I get when I ran lsblk in qubes os 4.1.0 rc3 and I don’t see my primary m.2 nvme where win 11 is installed or the other nvme where I intend to install Qubes OS.

there are only 3 disk and 1 usb show up

this might the problem

Sorry to pile on here, @ppc, but I think the OP’s case though may not be quite so simple (usually it’s the case of existing SATA being disabled in order for the obviously populated M2 to be used rather than the reverse - of course there could be boards with the opposite choice made by the engineers) - but it has to be considered so @Mephisto maybe you can look into it or pass along more details for us to chew over. The issue that I think @ppc maybe brings up (looking back now I’m already doubting my interpretation of their slant & it could be completely different so sorry) is a matter of design limitations & barely documented features of modern systems - namely the optional features (expansion slots, expansion headers, etc.) that auto-kill other optional features since both are not capable of being used due to scarce resources (board has two jacks but chipset/CPU can only accommodate so much use & BIOS auto turns off one if the other is populated situation - right @alzer89).

A General google search that lead to B below but also plenty of others
B Linus Tech Tips - What Does It Mean When M2_2 Slot Is Populated sata6g_56 Will Be Disabled

Addendum: to wit, I also recall times when certain card slots (PCI/ISA but PCIe?) would be enabled or disabled based upon a similar device - engineering choices with limited resources).