My adventures with Qubes 4.1.1 on a Lenovo T14 Gen 3

If you have a USB Keyboard/Mouse, that can be used. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure you don’t need module_blacklist=amdgpu if you boot a 6.x.x kernel from Qubes-4.1.20230211-x86_64.iso :slight_smile:

I see, I’ll try it out later on. And thank you for the update on the module blacklist :slight_smile:
Hopefully I’ll end up with something that works, as my T480 is about to get retired.

I got it to start the installation but if failed to apply the grub/efi thingies. See photo.

Yes - that’s the efibootmgr that fails to add the boot option:

Looks like the current ISO has the same issues I found back i October. There might be a new Qubes 4.2 in
https://qubes.notset.fr/iso/

soon:

:crossed_fingers:

Edit (2023-02-18): Oh you are teasing me!
http://mirror.notset.fr/qubes/iso/Qubes-4.2.202302181608-x86_64.log

Edit (2023-02-19): Time to do some testing!

Qubes-4.2.202302191645-x86_64.iso                  19-Feb-2023 16:56          6252677120
Qubes-4.2.202302191645-x86_64.iso.DIGESTS          19-Feb-2023 17:04                1291
Qubes-4.2.202302191645-x86_64.iso.asc              19-Feb-2023 17:02                 833
Qubes-4.2.202302191645-x86_64.log                  19-Feb-2023 17:06             1348201
Qubes-4.2.202302191645-x86_64.torrent              19-Feb-2023 17:04              119868
1 Like

I guess it might be possible to create a soft link at /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi that points to /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/grubx64.efi, which will make the UEFI automatically add the boot entry.

Time for another set of tests:

:smiley:

How nice, I won’t have time to test for the time being though. When I do I’ll come back with results :blush:

I’ve tried Qubes-4.2.202302220603-x86_64.iso , there is no compability change what I can find. VCPU settings and acpi=off is still required, onboard keyboard and mouse does not work and grub still won’t get installed correctly so you have to boot into another liveCD to correct that.

Have you tried clocksource=tsc tsc=unstable hpetbroadcast=0 instead of the VCPU parameters? Works on my L14 Gen 3 AMD and Dom0 has a lot smoother performance without being limited to one vCPU.

Looks like my T14 Gen 3 is in a weird state at the moment - I tested Q4.2-alpha, so it’s not be the best state test …

I’ll try with a Q4.1.2-rc and see if

clocksource=tsc tsc=unstable hpetbroadcast=0

will allow it to boot … or I still need the acpi=off to avoid it rebooting when it starts … :-/

Okay - I’ve tried a series of combinations for the Qubes 4.1.2-rc1 image - some result in the machine:

Just rebooting
XEN += clocksource=tsc tsc=unstable hpetbroadcast=0
Kernel -= quiet 
Kernel -= quiet 
Kernel += module_blacklist=amdgpu
Kernel -= quiet 
Kernel += nomodeset
``
Failing to reach the installer
Kernel -= quiet 
Kernel += acpi=off module_blacklist=amdgpu

=> kernel running -- with errors like:
  xhci_hcd "Can't find IRQ for PCI INT .."
  nvme nvme0: I/O QID 0 timeout, completion polled
XEN += clocksource=tsc tsc=unstable hpetbroadcast=0 acpi=off
Kernel -= quiet 
XEN += dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin=1 acpi=off
Kernel -= quiet 

=> Hang with
  "usb usb6. We don't know the algorithm for LMM for thsi host, disabling LMM"
Starts the installer - but with at 'sloppy' screen/mouse
Kernel -= quiet 
Kernel += module_blacklist=amdgpu
Kernel -= quiet 
Kernel += nomodeset
Kernel -= quiet 
Kernel += nomodeset

I repeated some of the tests with the 6.1.7 kernel - the “best” result were with:

Kernel -= quiet 
Kernel += nomodeset

where the installer starts but tells me that my machine is “Unsupported Hardware”, without IOMMU/VT-d/AMD-Vi (after I accept running a release candidate) - and

Kernel -= quiet 
Kernel += acpi=off

ends with “Wait for Complete Device Initialization” and “nvme nvme0: I/O QID 0 timeout, completion polled” (before the installer starts).

Finally testing with

XEN += clocksource=dom0_max_cpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin=1
Kernel -= quiet 
Kernel += acpi=off

I get to the point where I can select installation destination and actually install the system. This looks the same as the images I’ve tested from mirror.netset.fr.

I suspect something with ACPI - but any hints/suggestions to what to try next are welcome – I keep an eye on the Lenovo site, to see if/when a new BIOS should show up.

1 Like

Ah yes, during install I used the vCPU parameters, only after installation I used clocksource=tsc tsc=unstable hpetbroadcast=0

Right! – I didn’t get that … I’ll try! :slight_smile:

Does your machine work without adding the acpi=off (to either XEN or Kernel)? … I did update the BIOS to the latest from Lenovo (so I might have added some “new and unknown issue”) to my machine … :-/

Yes, I don’t need to add acpi=off. I also updated to the latest BIOS before installing Qubes and did 1 BIOS update since. Maybe it will be fixed in a BIOS update? I see your model has had 4 BIOS updates since the initial release and mine has already had 8.

I just tried running the installer with

XEN += dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin=1
Kernel += acpi=off

(the installer still fails to run efibootmgr) and then

Kernel += acpi=off

during the “initial setup” – but the setup fails to complete and leaves me with a sys-net that doesn’t start (same as when I had dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin=1 for initial setup).

Guess I’ll just have to keep reloading the Lenovo page - hoping for new BIOS updates … :-/

Thanks for all the tips in this thread, I managed to install 4.1.2 on T14s gen 3 with amd ryzen 7 6850. Used clocksource=tsc tsc=unstable hpetbroadcast=0 dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin=1 xen options during install and boot, and have to use acpi=off kernel options during install and boot. I tried acpi=ht , pci=noirq, noapic, etc but nothing worked except full acpi=off (which implies acpi table parsing code is at fault?). Anyhow in the end internal keyboard and touchpad are not working (even though I can see Synaptics in the lsusb), only external keyboard works (didn’t work with separate sys-usb btw), there are kernel messages suggesting to try pci=biosirq but that didn’t work (either no effect or no boot depending on presence of acpi=off). Also wifi is not working %)
@ChrisA do you have the same problem with keyboard and wifi?
PS updated BIOS to the latest 1.30 before install

1 Like

Unfortunately, my experience is identical to yours: :-/

• no boot, if I remove acpi=off
  • build-in keyboard/mouse not working

I don’t recall a working WiFi, from my tests - but my focus has been on the “will it boot/install?” and “can I do anything to get the internal keyboard/mouse working?”. Lenovo released an updated BIOS/UEFI for the T14s / T14 Gen 3 2 weeks ago:

for the:

Support model      ThinkPad T14 Gen 3  (Machine Types:21CF,21CG)
                   ThinkPad T16 Gen 1  (Machine Types:21CH,21CJ)
                   ThinkPad P16s Gen 1  (Machine Types:21CK,21CL)
                   ThinkPad P14s Gen 3  (Machine Types:21J5,21J6)

Operating Systems  Microsoft Windows 10  64-bit 
                   Microsoft Windows 11

with the description:

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
 Version 1.34 (UEFI BIOS)(Machine Types:21CF,21CG,21CH,21CJ,21CK,21CL,21J5,21J6)
         1.25 (ECP)

[Important updates]
- N/A

[New functions or enhancements]
- N/A

[Problem fixes]
- Fixed an issue where tpm can't to change from DTPM to pluton when WMI set bootDisplay to ExternalDisplay.
- Fixed an issue where system cannot auto set the security chip to Discrete TPM after disabling the Microsoft(R) Pluton Processor Control when manual set security chip to MSFT Pluton.
- Fixed an issue where Security chip item show 8 lines on BIOS setup in Simple Text mode.
- Fixed an issue where srsetup tool can't set to Discrete TPM when security TPM select set to Pluton on BIOS setup(srsetup /z /dtpm).

It doesn’t look like it changes much wrt the issues we have - but I’ll try it and see (pending time for fun) …

Edit: My attempts to update the ECP, has so far landed me pretty much on:

:-/

ftr situation with wifi : after installing latest firmware (I copied firmware-atheros 2023smth deb package from debian testing via usb stick) the card initializes but then dies with the same log as in QCNFA765 (wcn6855) WiFi6 controller not working

re keyboard issues there is this Include patch fixing Ryzen 6000 Keyboard by dylangerdaly · Pull Request #614 · QubesOS/qubes-linux-kernel · GitHub which to me reads as the issue with same symptoms was fixed in some way and the fix is included in kernel-latest… @dylanger any chance you can comment on this please?

I’ve tested version 4.2.0-rc3 without any success.
Not tested any changes in boot options, but the installation media won’t show any graphical UI during boot.