"make qubes-vm" failure

Hello, I’m following the steps outlined in the “Qubes ISO builder” and the directions in this github repo by Andrew Wong: Contents/ubuntu.md at master · Qubes-Community/Contents · GitHub. But I’m not able to get past this error after running the “make qubes-vm” command:

make[5]: Entering directory '/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm/xen/include'
mkdir -p compat
grep -v 'DEFINE_XEN_GUEST_HANDLE(long)' public/argo.h | \
/usr/bin/python3 /home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm/xen/tools/compat-build-source.py >compat/argo.c.new
mv -f compat/argo.c.new compat/argo.c
gcc -E -m64 -DBUILD_ID -fno-strict-aliasing -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -nostdinc -fno-builtin -fno-common -Werror -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-arith -Wvla -pipe -D__XEN__ -ffile-prefix-map=/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm=. -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -fno-jump-tables -I/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm/xen/include -I/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm/xen/include/asm-x86/mach-generic -I/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm/xen/include/asm-x86/mach-default -DXEN_IMG_OFFSET=0x200000 -msoft-float -fno-stack-protector -fno-exceptions -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -Wnested-externs -DHAVE_AS_NEGATIVE_TRUE -mno-red-zone -fpic -mno-sse -mskip-rax-setup -include public/xen-compat.h -DXEN_GENERATING_COMPAT_HEADERS -m32 -o compat/argo.i compat/argo.c
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-ffile-prefix-map=/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm=.'
Makefile:68: recipe for target 'compat/argo.i' failed
make[5]: *** [compat/argo.i] Error 1
rm compat/argo.c
make[5]: Leaving directory '/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm/xen/include'
Makefile:358: recipe for target '/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm/xen/xen' failed
make[4]: *** [/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm/xen/xen] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm/xen'
Makefile:263: recipe for target 'install' failed
make[3]: *** [install] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm/xen'
Makefile:130: recipe for target 'install-xen' failed
make[2]: *** [install-xen] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm'
debian/rules:196: recipe for target 'override_dh_auto_build' failed
make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen/debian-vm'
debian/rules:140: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit status 2
make[2]: *** [/home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-debian//Makefile-legacy.debian:56: dist-package] Error 2
make[1]: *** [Makefile.generic:197: packages] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:265: vmm-xen-vm] Error 1

Does anyone have any ideas for what’s going wrong here?

Post can’t be empty

1 Like

My end goal is to get a ubuntu template and that is why I’m following “the steps outlined in the “Qubes ISO builder” and the directions in this github repo by Andrew Wong: Contents/ubuntu.md at master · Qubes-Community/Contents · GitHub.”

I’m looking for help with this issue so I dont believe I need to go to the qubes-devel group. It would be off topic as I am trying to get help with my current issue rather than add a new feature or fix a bug.

1 Like

If this is your goal then maybe you’d want to consider

but, if your goal is to get an Ubuntu template by building it (you weren’t specific, sorry), then someone more knowledgeable would have to try to help you.

As @fsflover noted, notice that development discussions should preferably go to qubes-devel.

(also, I’ve updated markdown formatting on your post to be more legible)

Hi @Cots ,

I needed an ubuntu template today to test some software. For security and trust, I must build it and can not download it from an unofficial website :slight_smile:

Success! There are two issues. The first one, you already hit. A search turned up a closed issue, you must build the template using the 4.0 build system, not 4.1: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4875

EDIT: For building bionic, use 4.0:

So start over, and select 4.0 as your build system… But first, you must also fix the second issue before you build vmm-xen: You must edit qubes-src/meta-packages/debian/control: "make qubes-vm" failure

bionic, and needed to delete different packages than focal. For bionic, I needed to remove qubes-core-agent-nautilus, and qubes-pdf-converter. Then make qubes-vm followed by make template worked. For focal, I needed to delete qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates and qubes-mgmt-salt-vm-connector.

EDIT: Apparently focal will build fine under 4.1 without changes (not sure, as my build failed on bionic before which prevented an attempt on focal). But if you need bionic, you will need above.

Happy Building…

I doubt that responding to a 5 month old post will be particularly
helpful.
In any case, your reply is incorrect.

Bionic is not supported under 4.1 - you may be able to run a template
with 4.0 packages under 4.1.
Focal can be built using the default settings - you don’t need to do any
special editing at all.

I disagree as I wrote the post for search engines, not the original poster.

5 months later, and if you try and follow the official github instructions and try and build both bionic and focal you run into the exact issue the operator ran into. If you search for the errors in the log file with qubes-builder, this thread is one of the top results. If someone tomorrow tries to build both bionic and focal under qubes-4.1 , and then search for a solution, may they find it here. Perhaps I should make a PR to fix the instructions, but that will change soon too when bionic reaches eol and the current instructions are timeless…so I leave search engine fodder here.

Thank you , good to know. I can report the Bionic and Focal templates I built yesterday under 4.0 builder appear to run fine under Qubes 4.1.1 and services in a qube using them have been stable. However, I will rebuild focal with your pointer for 4.1.

Is it documented anywhere which ubuntu releases are supported by which qubes release?

As they are unofficial community templates, there is only the page in the community
docs.