Librem 15, NitroPad X230, more?

After the great advice here I have decided to grab a w530. I’ll replace the hd with a fast ssd and max out the RAM. And of course get rid of win10 and put qubes on it!

Would someone who has done this be kind enough to recommend some top shelf, quality RAM that would be suitable for this laptop?

Could you elaborate on that second part? What do you mean the laptop isn’t good for all-day use? I’m thinking about getting a Librem 14 but I want to do more research into the quality of their products before spending over $2k on it.

Usually you don’t have to do anything, see the following post:

There are ways to reduce memory consumption like Mirage firewall and some fine tuning but in my experience 16GB is enough for ordinary stuff.

I think he is just talking about writing on a foreign keyboard layout/mapping isn’t a good solution for everyday use.

I just mean that the librem without german keyboard layout is not good for my purposes.

@Raphael_Balthazar: ah, ok. But what about, if i’m running a VM that needs rather much RAM and there I have something like 1G intial and 4G max and need more? Will it automaticaly give me more than max?

As far as I know you have to increase the maximum memory in the settings of said Qube. Then it should be able to use more than 4GB but also only if needed.

ah, ok, thanks!

I have nothing special, just 3 of 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz SoDIMM

Thanks for that. I’m thinking of Corsair or Kingston as they get good wraps. Not that I’d know that difference probably :slight_smile: :laughing: