Lenovo ThinkPad W530

Cross-post: w530 needs testers with external programmer.
Declare yourself :slight_smile:

Here again, to have external monitors work if in dgpu situations, you would need to test the dgpu variants of the heads firmware since blobs need to be included under coreboot for the whole enablement to work on thoose hybrids iGPU (Intel) + dGPU (nVidia).

I welcome board owners which have external programmers to register themselves with their board flavors under Platform blobs, collaborators/maintainers/testers for faster problems resolution · Issue #692 · linuxboot/heads · GitHub

Otherwise, those low level requirements will just make other people think it is not supposed to work where in fact, it should work out of the box under Heads if proper board flavor is chosen and w530-maximized board owners should be able to switch to dGPU flavors if needed by flashing internally, where laptop monitor will be initialized by Heads (iGPU) and OS will be able to own external monitors and make everyone happy. But that requires testing and testing reports. Otherwise as of now, w50 board under Heads are now flagged as UNTESTED.

As usual, donations welcome! (I feel nobody completely gets the amount of work needed to maintain Heads…)

I have purchased a Raspberry pi5 model SC1112 with 8G memory, 27watt power supply, RTC battery, active cooler and case. Some of the stuff is on back order, but hopefully Gwiazdor can get it here soon. Please carry on because it may be awhile before I will be doing more testing.

There are wifi slot → nvme adapters available. Did anyone try such an adapter on a Thinkpad xx30 with Qubes?
There are different storages available. sata, sata in cd caddy and also the wwan slot is usable for msata. I have seen a card using the wifi slot and having two sata slots. Although it looks there would not be enough space for such an adapter. Is there any more options available? It would be nice to have four different internal storages.

As a sidenote, as it was mentioned above that setting brightness does not work in the battery menu, here is an easy way to start a session with the desired brightness:
First check the output device by running in dom0 terminal

xrandr -q

It will show something like VGA-1 or LVDS-1. So the command to set the brightness on the CLI is

xrandr --output LVDS-1 --brightness 0.5

Where 0.4 is darker and 0.6 is the opposite step. In dom0 terminal, in the /home/username/ directory create a folder named

mkdir .startupscripts

cd into .startupscripts and create a file called brightness.sh with the following content:

nano brightness.sh

#! /bin/sh
sleep 1
xrandr --output LVDS-1 --brightness 0.5

It can have whatever display brightness is desired. Make it executable:

sudo chmod +x brightness.sh

In the Menu under Menu/Settings/System Settings/Session and Startup go to Application Autostart. Click + and use

Name: Brightness
Description: Setting Screen Brightness 
Command: sh /home/username/.startupscripts/brightness.sh
Trigger: on login

That’s all. After next system start it will use the pre-set brightness value and it can be changed anytime via CLI.

Better solution would be to take the changing values from the file which is linked to the brightness bar of the battery menu and link it to xrandr.