Lenovo ThinkPad T480s

Yes

2 Likes

For those of you who are wondered can game on Qubes OS with T480s, yes it works but the frame rate is low about 2fps at a time. PS: I’m played TMNationsForever via Wine virtual desktop.

1 Like

it a not a virtualization software, it a compatibility layer, which mean that this reflect actual performance of the game

@fsflover & @sven
Apologies for my rather late answer but I have been busy with other issues and had no time to dig further in QUBES OS.
I just did email my HCL report to qubes-users@googlegroups.com

In answer to your other question about suspend. Suspend doesn´t seem to be a problem for now.
But I will have to test it more thorough. Wil be back on this suspend issue mentioned here.

Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20L8SA2V00-20220201-231151.yml (859 Bytes)

2 Likes

@fsflover
I can confirm that suspend works, on my T480s 20L8 I didn’t run in to suspend issues.

@sven

2 Likes

@Sven,

Hi Sven you requested new HCL reports for QUBES OS Release 4.1

Here is my HCL report after a new clean install (not an upgrade from the RC4).

By the way TPM is activated. I don’t have a clue why HCL report reads “TPM: Device not found” Is there someone here that can inform me about this?

@fsflover
I ran in one problem with suspend. After supending to sleep by closing the lid for more than 12 hours the system wouldn’ t wake up. I have had this same problem with a T480 before. After that I found that suspend is working fine again. But I didn’ t keep it for lomger than 4 hours in suspend.

2 Likes

Thank you @Amadeus65 for your R4.1 report, which is online now.

1 Like

Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20L70028US-20220628-151313.yml (859 Bytes)

I am now upload to the hcl @Sven

works = yes
credit can be credit me
no remarks
link is up to you

3 Likes

Thank you @HPOA909 for your HCL report, which is online now.

1 Like

I’ve currently got 4.0 working on a T480S.
Lenovo’s Thinkpad BIOS does not allow you to select the EFI file and expects a standard EFI directory naming/structure, as per:

Once copying the efi files from -/qubes/ all works well.
I’ll send an updated reply when I’ve got r4.1 working.

Qubes-HCL-T480s-20220510.yml (1.0 KB)

Lenovo EFI boot requires /boot/efi/EFI/qubes → /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT; grubx64.efi → BOOTX64.efi, grub.cfg → BOOTX64.cfg and xen-$latest.efi → xen.efi
Touchscreen input requires usb controller assigned to sys-usb and qubes proxy TabletInput sys-usb->dom0 enabled.

1 Like

Thank you @Quser59 for your report, which is online now!

I had to remove/shorten your remarks to not explode the table. Instead I have pasted them into your original post, which is linked from the HCL entry (reporter name links to the post).

2 Likes

@Sven I have Qubes running on a another T480s with the exact same spec. So far, no issues whatsoever.

As above:
Lenovo EFI boot requires /boot/efi/EFI/qubes → /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT; grubx64.efi → BOOTX64.efi, grub.cfg → BOOTX64.cfg and xen-$latest.efi → xen.efi
Touchscreen input requires usb controller assigned to sys-usb and qubes proxy TabletInput sys-usb->dom0 enabled.

On this machine I also had to set the USB controller pci options:
qvm-pci attach --persistent --option permissive=true --option no-strict-reset=true sys-usb dom0:xxx

1 Like

Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20L70028US-20221124-210926.yml (859 Bytes)

@Sven : This is my 4th HCL report for my current latest run.

Notes: Everything are running smoothly without any problems except all FC-37 updating functionality via the internal disp-mgmt-vm.

Thank you @HPOA909 for your latest report, which is online now!

2 Likes

Hi I am considering acquiring a T480s and installing Qubes. Sorry I’m new to this, and I don’t quite understand this abbreviated set of instructions. I was looking at the UEFI troubleshooting guide and it does not specify grubx64.efi or grub.cfg. Would you mind elaborating on these steps a little more? I would like to gauge how difficult this is before committing to buying a T480s. I am hoping that troubleshooting UEFI is just a tiny bit of text editing and a few cp and mv commands, which should be quite trivial.

Hi VXC the T480s (2018 & 2019)) works out of the box with QubesOS. On the contrary with my T14s AMD (2021) I have a number of issues to solve.AMD is not always Linux friendly and QubesOS is not the easiest Linux install. I have 2 T480s running QubesOS now an Intel i5 8350U 40GBRAM and a i7 8650U 40GBRAM both have 8GB soldered and a 32GB soDIMM in the memory slot (Specs say 24GB RAM is max but 40GB works fine). Installing QubesOS takes a little time but on the 2 T480s I use I have no real issues except from an occasional suspend to hybernation issue that occurs (I don´t use suspend to sleep). Both are non touch screen models L8 Mobo’s I do recommend the T480s it has the advantage of a second M.2 2242 or 2230 SSD in the WIWAN slot. Although the T480s is 3years older then the T14s Gen2 AMD this older T480s laptop is to prefer for QubesOS. Anyway never buy the newest hardware if you want to run QubesOS. ThinkPad T480s is widely available and not too expensive (I fully recommend this type).
Mind you I am just starting to use QubesOS and still in the trial and error phase.

1 Like

Although the T480s is 3years older then the T14s Gen2 AMD this older T480s laptop is to prefer for QubesOS. Anyway never buy the newest hardware if you want to run QubesOS.

Thanks for the advice. This is really helpful for me! For the T480S I’m surprised that you didn’t need to do any of the UEFI troubleshooting mentioned by Quser59. However out of the box compatibility is definitely a plus! I will probably give T480S a try :slight_smile:

Hi VXC No UEFI/BIOS troubleshooting was necessary at both T480s QubesOS installations.
But I always flash the latest UEFI/BIOS before I install a new OS on a system.
At Lenovo these new firmware is easy to download.

Furthermore the cooling issues for the 8th Gen Intel i7 CPU’s I mentioned before are solved in Linux now. My fan almost never is on for longer than e few minutes. Also battery life is great now on these CPU’s This is one of the advantages when you use not the newest hardware.

Hi VXC No UEFI/BIOS troubleshooting was necessary at both T480s QubesOS installations.

That’s great news!

Is the i7 recommended over the i5 for Qubes? I was thinking the power efficiency might be better on the i5. I would be willing to sacrifice a little power efficiency if getting the i7 offers a noticeable gain in performance.