L14 Gen 3 issue upgrading to Qubes 4.1

I’m trying to install Qubes on a Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 with AMD Ryzen 7 Pro.

Secure boot is off. BIOS version is 4.24.

Qubes 4.2 and 4.1 installers would not boot: When I selected boot from USB, I would get a black screen for a moment, then it would return to the boot menu. I tried installing Qubes 4.0 and it worked, although Qubes was very slow and WiFi did not work.

Next, I tried to update in place using qubes-dist-upgrade. It seemed to work, but now booting is extremely slow (over 10 minutes). It waits a long time trying to start some VMs. Then, after logging in, the trackpad stops working. I end up looking at the desktop background and nothing else. Eventually that disappears and I am left with a black screen with a small, gray square in the top left, maybe 3x3 pixels.

After rebooting a few times and getting the same issue each time, I got this:

[   24.811061] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 23s! [mapper/0:0]

The password screen did show up eventually after that, but now I’m running extended hardware diagnostics just in case.

Any ideas what is making this laptop incredibly slow? And any ideas on what is causing the black screen after login?

I succesfully installed 4.1 on a L14 Gen 3 AMD, you need to add some parameters for number of vCPU’s and or clocksource:

With the clocksource parameters my L14 is nice and fast but I did not try those during install, only the vcpu ones.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I will try that.

Currently my installation skips the Qubes bootloader screen when it boots. I tried holding Shift and hammering Esc, but it would not show up. Do you know how I can get the GRUB menu to show up so I can add those options?

Unfortunately I don’t know. Maybe hammering E works as you need to use E to edit a Grub boot entry.