Kali community template won' t update

Hello everyone,

I tried installing the kali community template using

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing --releasever=4.1 qubes-template-kali

And all went well, everything downloaded and started installing. But when everything was finished and qubes prompted me for an update of the template, the updates would not start and a log was written in /var/log/xen/console/guest-kali-ws.log (too big to post here and too big for pastebin) Anything I can look for in the logfile?

Anything I can do about this? I am new at qubes and general linux is very rusty :smile: Running everything smooth on a Lenovo T480

Also made a kali standalone vm but I couldn’ t attach my usb wireless card on that one.

thanks everyone, have a nice day

Hello,

As an alternative you can open up a terminal in the Kali template and run the commands:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

The template shall get updated.

Also, nice to see that you too are running a T480 :smiley:

Hi aronowski,

thanks for the reply!

The T480 is awesome and qubes runs great. Glad I picked it up.

I can’t select any terminal in the kali template so I guess it didn’t get installed?

cheers

Normally you should have it ready to launch from the main menu as seen in the screenshot.

menu

If that’s not the case, please check the Qube Settings and in the Application Shortcuts menu see, if you can select any terminal.

If there’s none of that, maybe the installation process went wrong somehow?

yeah, there is nothing there only “application missing from template”

Let me try the install for a third time. Did you install kali from the community template?

cheers

It seems like I installed it from the qubes-templates-community-testing repository. I used the qvm-template-gui tool for this.

Had something of the same problem, this solved it.

Maybe the size of the template (or some other unknown factor) makes it more susceptible for faults?

I’ve also had problems using the automated update sometimes

This process assumes that everything has been done according to @unman’s guide.
That also means that e.g. /dev/qubes_dom0/root has been resized with sudo lvresize --size 40G /dev/qubes_dom0/root.

1 Like

Is that included in Qubes 4.1?

The template seems to work out of the box for me on 4.1…

According to @unman’s guide at https://qubes.3isec.org/Templates_4.1/:

In 4.1, dom0 is pegged at 20G by default.
This means that you will not be able to install the larger templates, like parrot, without taking some action.
The easiest thing to do is to increase the size of dom0. On a default install you can do this simply enough by:
sudo lvresize --size 40G /dev/qubes_dom0/root
sudo resize2fs /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root

Good for you :smiley:

Keep in mind that that Kali in testing repository is pretty outdated, and unman already packed Kali based on bookworm in his 3isec repository.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I tried making the template bigger between the download and the update but maybe that doesn’ t work. I’ ll try @unman’ s guide.

cheers, have a great saturday people!