Is there the ability to manually setup LUKS partition during install?

I would like to manually select encryption algorithm/hash-lengths/key-size/etc

An example of what I mean, In arch linux installs, I would do something like this:

cryptsetup --verbose --cipher serpent-xts-plain64 --key-size 512 --hash sha512 --iter-time 5000 --use-random luksFormat /dev/root

Any possibility of this? Or is there a way I can re-encrypt with these settings within my installed system? I am currently using the 4.2.1-rc1 iso image, if that matters. Any documentation is appreciated. If not, I will do my best to search for the solution myself and document it for others!

Yes you can. You need to drop to the terminal when the installer comes up. You can follow some parts of this guide to know how:

You’ll have to create everything, including the partitioning inside luks with lvm (thin pool) or whatever else you want that works with Qubes.

1 Like

Thank you much. I also posted this same question in the Qubes subreddit. A kind fellow linked the same article. After reading through, it is one solution. However upon further reading, I did not want to use a seperate boot device. I opted for cryptsetup-reencrypt (which that individual also mentioned in the subreddit response) to do an in-place change. This also allows all of the same flags/options as cryptsetup (for anyone else with this question, see man cryptsetup or man cryptsetup-reencrypt). Marking as solved. Thanks again for the response!

1 Like