Installation qubes os 4.1.1 failed

hello, I had installed qubes os 4.0.1 it works well, today I downloaded iso 4.1.1 to install it during the installation I had an error, and when I tried to install the 4.0.1 which worked well, I had the same error however when I installed 4.0.1 for the first time I did not have this error. while the .iso file is the same

it’s mark An unknown error has ello, I had installed qubes os 4.0.1 it works well, today I downloaded iso 4.1.1 to install it during the installation I had an error, and when I tried to install the 4.0.1 which worked well, I had the same error however when I installed 4.0.1 for the first time I did not have this error. while the .iso file is the same

it’s mark An unknown error has occurred, this program has encountered an unknown error. You may report the bug below

What does the last time say? :slight_smile:

Which ISO did you use in the screenshots? I see xen-hypervisor 4.14.3-8 which seems a bit old, last version is 4.14.5-6.
Anyway, you need more space. Try to reinstall everything again with the latest 4.1.1 ISO, if it doesn’t work again and it tells you that you need more space, do partitions manually and give the boot one a bit more space.

hi DVM

when you say “no more boot space” could you please explain to me a bit, because i have 90 gega of space and in the partitioning i chose standard partition, in /boot = 10 gega , /boot/efi = 100 MiB, swap = 4 gega, in /var/lib/qubes =70 gega and I still have the same problem

as well with 4.0.1 as with 4.1.1

Give more space to the /boot/efi partition, it asks for 5MB but give it 20MB.

hi alzer89

I did not understand your question

I give him 100 MB, but still the same problem

Can you give the backtrace again?

the backtrace again?

I’m a beginner, I didn’t understand “the backtrace again?” who what is and where to find it thank you

It’s the same thing you provided in your screenshots in your main post

what is the most secure partitioning for qubes os, which, /boot, / , /boot/efi, swap ouuuuu /var, / , /home , /boot, /boot/efi , what deference

@codevjunior

Computer software is basically a list of instructions for the computer to perform, kind of like a recipe for a cake. Instructions for what to add, remove, store, when to start, when to stop (stop mixing after 30 seconds), what conditions are required to proceed to the next step (don’t take it out of the oven until golden-brown), etc etc.

If a program encounters an instruction that it is unable to perform successfully, it “throws an error”. The most it can do is say “I couldn’t to step 26, and I don’t know why”

I wish computer software could fix itself, but it can’t :stuck_out_tongue:

A “backtrace” is basically showing the step that it couldn’t do, and all the other steps that caused the program to try to do that step.

That allows a human to look at everything, and figure out why it is throwing an error, and correct those steps so that they work.

So, the anaconda installer is trying to use DNF (a package manager) to install xen-hypervisor into /boot/efi. But it can’t because it says it needs 5MB more space in /boot/efi.

So, you need to increase the size of /boot/efi by 5MB.

As @DVM said, it would be wise to increase it by more than that, to allow for some padding, just in case something else goes wrong in future.

That means /boot/efi needs to be at least 120MB in size.

That’s all you need to do.

Does this make sense to you?

thank you the problem is solved, I had to increase not only 120 Mio 150 Mio but sooner 2 gega for boot and 2 gega for /boot/efi the rest I have / and swap :kissing_heart::kissing_heart: DVM alzer89

yes thank you😘

Think of partitions like walls in your house. They separate your house into different rooms.

Each room has doors that link the rooms together, and provide access to the rooms.

Some of these doors have locks on them, limiting who can unlock them, enter them, put stuff into them, and take stuff out of them.

(For this analogy to work, you have to assume that it’s impossible to “break into” a house or room… :laughing:)

You could have a single key that unlocks all doors, or you could have one key for each lock. It’s entirely up to you.

You can put your stuff in any room, there isn’t really any sort of restriction.

You could even have a house that is just one big room if you really wanted…

The walls basically determine the size of each of your rooms. But they don’t really prevent your stuff from going anywhere.

If you want to change the size of the rooms, you basically have to knock down the building structure and start again. Sometimes if you have empty land next to an existing room, you can sometimes make it bigger or smaller without knocking down the whole building structure.

Maybe you want to attach a caravan or demountable structure (essentially, a shipping container on bricks used as a temporary room) to one of the rooms in your existing house. Maybe you want to attach this temporary structure to another door in your house.

In order for anyone (including you) to be able to get onto your land, everyone needs to be able to access your property and get to your front door, your doorbell, etc. They don’t necessarily need to be able to open it, but they must be able to easily discover where it is, and be able to interact with it.

Land = Filesystem
Buildings = Drives
Rooms = Partitions
Doors = Filesystem Directories
Locks = Encryption Keys
The Route to your Front Door = Boot Partition

So, is there any difference? Well, that’s up to you how you want to configure your machine.

Whilst Windows groups your machine based on individual separate drives, in the POSIX (UNIX, Linux, BSD, etc.) filesystem structure, / is basically your computer, and you can slot drives and partitions into any directory you like.

This is useful because you can add new drives/partitions if you run out of space, and slot them into any directory you like. For example, it’s not uncommon on servers to have /var/log on a separate drive, because those logfiles are usually constantly being written to, and that can wear out an SSD very quickly.

Another example is if you dual boot. It’s possible to put your /home directory on its own partition, so you can bring it with you into any OS. You can also lock it up with its own key, if you really want.

Hopefully this sort of makes you understand partitions better :slight_smile:

thank you😘

1 Like