Install finalizes w/ blank screen

Finished entire install, graphics worked just fine as did mouse and keyboard.

After the configuration windows finished setting up templates, the very last stage of install, I get a blank screen and it just sits there.

The blank screen occurs just after template VMs install then setting up network and Blank.

Cant understand why entire install process gui was fine but at last stage it blanks out.

How do I fix this and finally use Qubes 4.1.2?

Pls help.

FYI: I have looked into the trouble shooting guide and it suggests adding in 2 lines to xen.conf however xen.conf does not exist at the first stage of install with alt+ctrl+F2…

As I recall, the installer uses one (fixed) set of config files - and after setting up templates/network, it should switch to the installed set of config files.

• At the black screen, can you use Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to a text console?
  • Does CapsLock and/or NumLock turn on/off?
  • Does it shutdown, if you press the power button shortly?

Which 2 lines did the troubleshooting guide suggest? - I suspect the reference to xen.conf is from the old Qubes 4.0 release - you might be able to add the same line by pressing e to edit the GRUB config on boot.

Placed answers to your questions below next to “->”

As I recall, the installer uses one (fixed) set of config files - and after setting up templates/network, it should switch to the installed set of config files.

• At the black screen, can you use Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to a text console?
    → No, does not get to console.
  • Does CapsLock and/or NumLock turn on/off?
    ->No for both
  • Does it shutdown, if you press the power button shortly?
    ->No shutdown on touch, only on extended hold

Which 2 lines did the troubleshooting guide suggest?
→ mapbs=1 & noexitboot=1 , placed them in config file did same result of blank screen

What do you recommend I am not sure what to try next. Thanks for helping

What kind of graphics card do you have? - and is it a laptop or desktop?

Can you try and replace the quiet in the GRUB config with:

module_blacklist=amdgpu,nouveau i915.modeset=0

?

deskto 3080ti.

How do I make that edit, I don’t even see grub flash now it goes straight to the installer.

Can this line be added in Gurb> command line that comes as option when installer boots? If so how ?

Grub prompt is so zoomed in I cant even see options when it hit tab :frowning:

I do net get a grub menu at all otherwise.

Please let me know Chris.

GRUB is when the machine boots - you should see something like “Qubes, with xen hypervisor” when it boots (not from the installer, but from the harddrive).

Then pressing e to edit the GRUB options, you should be able to use arrow keys to navigate to where it says quiet and then replace that with

module_blacklist=amdgpu,nouveau i915.modeset=0 

Does it ask for password for decrypting the drive?

Yes I know what you mean, I hit e and editing (with very bad resolution) now.

There is no line with quiet. Where should I add that suggested config line that you posted ?

Have you scrolled down, so you can see the line with initramfs-..?

The kernel line should be long and start with module2 /vmlinuz.. and have quiet (almost?) at the end.

The resolution is very zoomed in on Grub, had to use side arrow to locate quiet.

Located it and replaced it with the line you posted.

hit f10 to boot, bunch of text → ask for encryption key → finish installation → blank screen ( no caps lock, num lock , or soft power off)

Did I complete the steps correctly ?

Does the machine have more than one display connector? – I recall someone writing about something like this … and I think the cause was the GUI started on a different/second connector.

Can you try to replace quiet with:

nouveau.modeset=0

?

I don’t have a GeForce card, so I’m guessing … :-/

Did the “complete the installation by …” show up again? - if it shows up, you could try and select the option to the left (“skip installation” or something like that). The system will lack a lot of things - but it’s worth a try …

Yes it is an nvidia card 3080ti.

Replaced nouveau.modeset=0 only…now it does not get to finish installation screen. Just blank screen.

Ran grub boot as normal, it gets to finish installtion screen, but freezes no mouse no keyboard and then goes to blank screen after 20 seconds.

Tried every port hdmi and disp;ay port as well as mobo hdmi…no display.

I am having a very hard time getting this to work. Any input much appreciated.

From
Contents/nvidia-troubleshooting.md at master · Qubes-Community/Contents · GitHub
maybe quiet should be replaced with:

nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off

?

What kernel did you pick from the install medium? - the default or kernel-latest? - and did you pick the Qubes OS R4.1.2 iso?

Reinstalling with kernel latest, this time picking fedora as default rather than debian and will input the line you most recently posted to see if it works.

Will report back how it goes, thanks for you help so far, hope it runs.

1 Like

Reinstalled w/ kernel latest. Used line with vesa off…boots to finish install then mouse keyboard freeze and blank screen the same. again.

No idea how to move forward.

Re-installed and simply unchecked the box that creates sys-usb and changed iommu in bios from auto to enabled, no other changes.

Installs fully and boots without issue. It is up and running.

Wow.

Now I need to figure out how not having sys-usb vm impacts my use case and what can be done about if anything.

Cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks @ChrisA

wow – I did not expect that to be source of the trouble!

– but nice that it worked! :smiley:

I think you might be able to add sys-usb later:

… but read all of it - and as was the case then: I’ve not tried it myself, so be prepared to reinstall as a last resort. :slight_smile:

Thanks for help and guide above, and yes I am prepared for some troubleshooting and likely multiple re-installs.

1 Like