Install Discord on debian template from .deb

Hello everyone,

I created a non-free template to install spotify, discord and some other stuffs. Spotify works fine but it’s not the same for discord.

Discord does not have a repository and we have to download and install the corresponding package (.deb for me).

The installation is going smoothly until the last message appears:

root@debian-10-non-free:/home/user/QubesIncoming/disp2765# apt install -f ./discord-0.0.13.deb
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Note, selecting ‘discord’ instead of ‘./discord-0.0.13.deb’
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 /home/user/QubesIncoming/disp2765/discord-0.0.13.deb discord amd64 0.0.13 [70.6 MB]
(Reading database … 134048 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/disp2765/discord-0.0.13.deb …
Unpacking discord (0.0.13) over (0.0.13) …
Setting up discord (0.0.13) …
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.62) …
Processing triggers for qubes-core-agent (4.0.61-1+deb10u1) …
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-4) …
N: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file ‘/home/user/QubesIncoming/disp2765/discord-0.0.13.deb’ couldn’t be accessed by user ‘_apt’. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)

Does this mean I can’t install Discord this way and need to create a standalone VM or is there another solution?

I know I can run discord from firefox but for now I would like to understand this problem :slight_smile:

The message is because the user _apt can’t access the .deb file as the parent directory /home/user is only accessible by the user user. If you were to copy the .deb file to /tmp (for example) and install it from there you would not get the message.

However, I believe the package should have installed correctly even with the warning message. Did you try running it?

3 Likes

I’ve made a tutorial just for this:

2 Likes