I cant put Librewolf, Brave or Mullvad on Debian 13

Happy new year everyone. I have a slightly different issue with trying to install brave. I too ran into the issue after doing the echo command.

echo “deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=$( dpkg --print-architecture )] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser.sources $(lsb_release -cs) main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.sources

And got this:

Error: Malformed stanza 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.sources (type)

Error: The list of sources could not be read.

I checked it several time to make sure I didn’t make any type-Os and tried it again. Same thing. This was late last night so I called it quits.
To day I went into the same Template to do something else and tryed to bring up Synaptic Package Manager and got a window in it giving me the same error and then closing down. I then did a quick search on librewolf and tried this:

user@Debian-13-xfce-Business:~$ sudo apt update
Error: Malformed stanza 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.sources (type)
Error: The list of sources could not be read.
user@Debian-13-xfce-Business:~$ curl -fsS https://dl.brave.com/install.sh | sh
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: dl.brave.com
user@Debian-13-xfce-Business:~$ sudo apt purge brave-browser
Error: Malformed stanza 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.sources (type)
Error: The list of sources could not be read.
user@Debian-13-xfce-Business:~$ echo “deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main
user@Debian-13-xfce-Business:~$ sudo apt update
Error: Malformed stanza 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.sources (type)
Error: The list of sources could not be read.
user@Debian-13-xfce-Business:~$ echo “deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=$( dpkg --print-architecture )] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main
user@Debian-13-xfce-Business:~$ sudo apt update
Error: Malformed stanza 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.sources (type)
Error: The list of sources could not be read.
user@Debian-13-xfce-Business:~$
As you can see I tried one mentioned above and another online and then tried a couple of different combos of the echo command. I think I need to undo the original echo command I did to fix this but I have no idea how to do that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

this can’t work because templates must go through a proxy to connect to the Internet.

curl -fsS -x http://localhost:8082 https://dl.brave.com/install.sh | sh should give a better result

Thanks solene, that fixed it. In other templates should I use that in place of…

echo “deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=$( dpkg --print-architecture )] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser.sources $(lsb_release -cs) main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.sources

Or should I do the above echo command and then this one?

This should work on debian based templates IMO.

curl -fsS -x http://localhost:8082 https://dl.brave.com/install.sh | sh

solene’s code fixed the issue with the template crashing but Brave did not install. This is what I did and the response…

~$ curl -fsS -x http://localhost:8082 https://dl.brave.com/install.sh | sh
Installing Brave Browser (release)

Any Ideas?

Take a look at this page: Using the updates proxy. Use the export command before running the Brave installation script.

I think that I should just remind you that by doing so:

  1. you are trying to download a file from internet
  2. then you run the script in that file and give it access to internet too.

I just wanted to switch to debian-13-xfce. All PTSD from first fight from installing software start to comeback. Every bigger change in qubes is 2 week learning curve and makes me want to ditch qubes.

From a start what I do…

Start a debian-13-xfce, run terminal.

Sudo apt install curl

works

sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

curl: (6) Could not resolve host: brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com

Ah F! I forgot that in last debian-12-xfce I added proxy to install software outside of apt repository.

In debian-12-xfce I go to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ and copy to other qube debian-13-xfce a file found there. 95proxy contains Acquire::http::Proxy "``http://127.0.0.1:8082/``";

QubesOS didnt create a QubesIncoming folder… okey.

Sudo nano 95proxy

Not working. Go to forum to cry there. I install brave-browser with following:

sudo http_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8082 https_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8082 curl -fsS https://dl.brave.com/install.sh | sh

sudo http_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8082 https_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8082 curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

sudo http_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8082 https_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8082 curl -fsSLo /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.sources https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser.sources

sudo http_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8082 https_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8082 apt install brave-browser

Please, dont remind me that template connects with internet and that is dangerous. Is there paranoid-programmers off button? I want templates to be able to install stuff. For me its a waste of life.

Sorry but this is the Qubes OS forum, (you know, that reasonably secure OS :slight_smile:)… so I will. Of all the available methods to install brave, you choose the worst one. If you don’t know what you are doing, extrepo is a better option, I’m pretty sure you can use the instructions in this post (replace the name of the browser by brave):

https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/konform-browser-a-possible-better-alternative-to-librewolf/41345/2

But, the better solution to your problem is to use the default browser.

Hi @Lukasz

This is not “okey” - it would be a serious bug if true. We’d need to dig
in to what went wrong. In the ordinary case the QubesIncoming folder is
created for you.

What you are doing here is using sudo and the proxy to download the
install.sh file, and piping that command through to sh
Environment variables arent generally passed through a pipe command. So
the proxy settings on the left hand side are not there when you try to
run the script.
sudo is not passed through redirects either. So you are running the
script as the ordinary user. (In this case the LHS sudo is redundant.)

In this sort of case you either need to set the proxy globally or
download the script and edit and adapt it to Qubes. There are easier
ways in this case: in other uses it may be necessary to edit an install
script.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.