I can't get Qubes to install to a USB?

Hi, thanks again for the respone. For each partition i selected a standard partition and created them in the following order:
/boot - 1Gb
/boot/efi -1Gb
/25Gb
I think anyway although im now getting confused. I them in the above order but not of the label conventions. I assume /boot was /dev/sda1 etc… Hope that helps.

Alrhough it might be a moot point as my new 64Gb USB turned up this morning and so far appeaea to be working and the auto partionibg tool worked. Fingers crossed it will work this time. Of course there is always the challenge of getting it to work on a 32Gb USB, sigh.

Regards

Nick

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try it.

Regards.

Nick

What filesystems did you use for partitions?
Did you reformat the partitions when you reinstalled Qubes?
You can compare the partitions that were created with auto partitioning on 64GB USB with you partitions on 32GB USB to look for differences.
But if it works for 64GB USB and you don’t need to have it on 32GB USB then you can skip this troubleshooting.

Sigh, I’m sorry vexed!!! I still can’t get it to work. I keep getting the same error no matter what I seem to try:

The auto partition tool worked on the new 64Gb but as you can see I keep getting the same error and I don’t know why. Previously I had been getting beyond with point and it was only failing when Qubes tried to install Fedora or Debian something or other (can’t quite remember) but it was beyond the point I’m failing at now. I’m not sure what has changed and I’ve tried both the USB ports on my computer. I’m beginning to think maybe I’ve changed some setting in BIOS but not idea what that might be. I even tried to install Qubes to USB without the encryption but I got exactly the same response. To be honest I’m at a bit of a loss and hope you have some idea what I’m doing wrong?

Regards

Nick

Can you check the partitions on your auto partitioned 64GB USB?
Specifically, what’s the filesystem of /boot partition?
You can check this with this command if you boot from another Linux system or from Qubes installer in Rescue mode:
sudo lsblk -af

Hi, I think I managed to figure out what the problem was. I had set my bios to enable USB boot and then moved what I thought was booting from USB fixed disk to the top of the boot options. This failed to work. However when I pressed esc and then accessed the boot options to select the USB device this worked. Not entirely sure why. There seems to be 2 USB boot options in my BIOS one to boot a fixed disk and one to boot a CD-ROM drive. Not entirely sure what the difference is apart from it didn’t work but would only work when I hit esc. So now it appears to work though I haven’t fully studied it yet. that joy is yet to come. The only further issue I had was an error message when I rebooted:

Anyway, I seem to be further forward as it actually seems to have booted into Qubes although when it was installing the templates it seemed to have hung but I left it all night and now it seems to work. So I shall continue with my studies and hope it is working properly.

Thanks again for you help and support. Couldn’t have done it without you.

Regards

Nick

Is it on 32GB or on 64GB USB drive?
Maybe it’s because of insufficient disk space.

Hi. Thanks again for the response. Not sure. It was a 64Gb USB. So you think that error message was related to insufficient space? Should I reinstall then and select only one of the templates to install?

Regards

Nick

It could be the reason but not for certain.
If you’re able to boot and login in dom0 in this installed Qubes OS then you can check logs to find the reason for this error.
In dom0 terminal run:
journalctl -u qubes-vm@sys-whonix.service