I cannot use my (good) Logitech 922 USB Webcam

thanks for your swift answer/s, this is why I now only respond quickly to a part of your post, here it comes:

I’m surprised by these last traces, because the kernel recognize your webcam and load the uvcvideo driver. Did you really do it on dom0 as requested or on Linux Mint?

Definitely, I used that on the Qubes (I only booted the Linux Mint USB to fetch the requested results).

Regarding the kernel upgrades on dom0: in the last years, I only updated Qubes using the built-in Qube updater in the task bar corner (“Launch updater”) as I thought - apparently I was wrong - that everything gets updated then.

My next action: upgrade the dom0 kernel.

So, I am running 5.8.16.-1.qubes.x86_64
I also selected that kernel for Videoconferencing-VM.

Problem still persists.
The Webcam is not shown as an USB device.

That’s a bit out of my comfort zone, I hope @ludovic sees this soon and
can help you. Sorry.

Hi @Wikinaut

Did you attach the webcam to Videoconferencing-VM? see usb-devices. Previously your webcam was listed by lsusb in dom0, now should be listed in Videoconferencing-VM.

May be some additional drivers are required, we will check this together.

First, just to be sure of the above results, please give us the output of the below commands:

• Videoconferencing-VM: uname -a
  • Videoconferencing-VM: lsusb

Second, we search the missing driver, please give us the output of the below commands as attached files or links (because the output is too long for a forum post).

• Linux Mint 20: lsusb -vv -d'046d:085c'
  • Linux Mint 20: lsusb -vv -t (give only the section of the webcam)
  • Linux Mint 20: lsmod
  • Videoconferencing-VM: lsusb -vv -d'046d:085c'
  • Videoconferencing-VM: lsusb -vv -t (give only the section of the webcam)
  • Videoconferencing-VM: lsmod

Note :

• lsmod display all the loaded kernel modules,
  • lsusb -vv -t display additional properties of the USB device, including the used driver (see Driver= property)

I also noted a small difference, the Bus where is connected your webcam, in the traces you gave:

Please verify. And viewing this difference, just an idea, is it a USB-3 or USB-2 Webcam?

Questions to skilled people who are using an USB webcam with Qubes OS:

• Should the webcam be attached to sys-usb or to the @Wikinaut 's standalone Videoconferencing-VM ?
  • Do you understand why dom0/qvm-usb output is empty?

Some (not all answers) to be quick. Detailed answer comes later.

1. The Logitech 922 Webcam is an USB-2 device; the NUC (INTEL NUC D54250WYK - fully updated to latest available BIOS) has four USB-3.0 slots. Remember: Linux Mint 20 & Webcam works on that hardware as expected.

2. Collecting the requested data: will do so in the next few hours.

3. regarding usb-devices: very honestly, I never understood the documentation about “usb”, “usb-qubes” and so. I always ignored that.

Remark: I used external USB-3 memory sticks with Qubes many times in the past without problems.

Remark 2: I recently was not able to flash an arduino - this was reported in a different issue; I now want to concentrate to get videoconferencing working, because I have to install strange software like “alfaview” and want to do this in a Qubes VM once I get the Webcam working.

Hi @Wikinaut,
I created a standalone debian-10 teleconferencing VM and I took an old webcam from the bottom of my drawer. Then I checked the procedure.

The result:

1. So dom0 is never used in this procedure.

2. sys-usb detects the webcam (dmesg -Tw), which is listed by lsusb but without driver (lsusb -t). Note that lsusb display the full name of the webcam (“Hercules Dualpix infinite”).

3. in the tray bar/Panel, I click on the USB icon, choose the webcam device and attach it to the teleconferencing VM.

4. teleconferencing VM detects the webcam (dmesg -Tw), which is listed by lsusb with a driver (lsusb -t, Driver=uvcvideo). Note that lsusb display the short name of the webcam (without “Hercules Dualpix infinite”).

5. I launch the “cheese” software and it displays the webcam video

Could you try this procedure, maybe you miss the step 2, and it isn’t a driver problem…

ad 1. sys-usb does not detect the Webcam.

This looks as if you have two USB controllers; dom0 owns one (probably due to your USB keyboard) and sys-usb the other. You are probably plugging the webcam into the controller that goes to dom0, as I can see in your dom0 output your mouse, keyboard, and webcam are all on the same USB 2.0 bus.

Try using a different USB port for the webcam in hopes that it gets connected to the USB controller owned by sys-usb.

The alternative is to let sys-usb handle both USB controllers, and set up your system such that sys-usb is able to direct keyboard input into dom0. There are risks associated it with this and a higher chance of locking yourself out. USB qubes | Qubes OS

If dom0 sees the USB device, but doesn’t detect it as a camera (no drivers), try using kernel-latest in dom0. Pointers: Redirecting…

Since yesterday, I do already use kernel-latest.
Your comment regarding the two controllers: I also thought so. I will try to mix a little bit and come back later here.

I tried this - no success.

I tried connecting all devices (keyboard, mouse, webcam) via an USB-3 hub to one USB of my NUC: negative.

Get over it! This is how Qubes works. I wasted 3 month with GPSD and GPS clock to make it work. It worked for 3 month and than an update…

You have the correct idea to use another distribution as HVM with strict resetting. Parrot with gnome-software and firewalld works the best. Do not use apt for updates just gnome-software. You can use apt for package installation. The most interference free download is through keybase.io https://keybase.pub/qubes_i2p/
You can install keybase in temp whonix-ws. Or you can download with scurl-download. Move Parrot.iso from one VM to another for security purposes.

How are you making this determination? Based on lsusb, dmesg, or the devices widget?

Yes, yes, yes.

It’s in the thread.
No webcam in VM Videoconferences

Did you enable the USB keyboard; it was not clear if you’ve followed that or not?

Here is my take on your situation:

1. You have two USB controllers
  2. You have a sys-usb qube, but it only sees one of those USB controllers
  3. dom0 sees the other, as you’re using a USB keyboard and dom0 owns that controller

The above means that any USB device attached to the same USB controller as your USB keyboard will not be available for attachment into other qubes, as it is owned by dom0. It appears all your USB ports are connected to the same USB controller as your USB Keyboard, so this ultimately means the only usable external USB device is your USB keyboard + mouse in your current situation.

In order to attach USB devices to other qubes, you must have a sys-usb qube. Given your current situation, you would also need to assign perform the “USB Keyboard” setup, described here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-qubes/#enable-a-usb-keyboard-for-login (please read all of this to understand implications)

In dom0 you would run:

qvm-remove sys-usb
sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.usb-keyboard

Check the settings of sys-usb and verify the Devices tab shows both USB controllers assigned. Verify the following commands yield no results:

sudo grep rd.qubes.hide_all_usb /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

If they don’t, don’t reboot just yet. Otherwise reboot, start sys-usb and see if the camera is now available in the devices widget.

Check the settings of sys-usb and verify the Devices tab shows both USB controllers assigned.

No. Only one.
I added the second, and now I cannot use my Qubes system any more —> as it does not accept my password or any keyboard input!

Pls. assist.

Help is needed. I cannot access my Qubes after booting and after successfully unlocking the disk.
The USB keyboard is apparently now not connected any more to the dom0.

How to fix that?

basically, I am HERE:

Can’t use keyboard or mouse after creating sys-usb

You risk locking yourself out of your computer if you have a USB keyboard and use full disk encryption alongside sys-usb. On boot, the keyboard may be inactive, preventing you from entering your LUKS decryption password.

I can unlock my disk but I cannot enter characters to the user login screen.

pls. assist.

Did you actually read the page referred to in the thread?

Do you use uefi or legacy boot?
This has come up quite recently in the forum: look for “locked USB
keyboard” or similar

UEFI Boot.