HP Pavilion Notebook Intel(R) Core™ i7-6500U compatible?

Hi,
I like to know whether my Windows Laptop’s hardware is compatible with Qubes OS.

My laptop is HP Pavilion Notebook Intel(R) Core™ i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Windows 10 64-bit.

Also, may I know is Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch’s hardware compatible with Qubes OS?

Pls don’t give me the hardware compatibility list link as I had already gone through it but can’t find my laptop’s exact model.

Pls let me know soon, thank you so much.

I am afraid that if it is not on the compatibility list, it probably means that nobody tested it.

See also:

updated the title for clarity

1 Like

Hi fsflover :smiley:,

This is the hardware requirements for Qubes OS : [CPU: 64-bit Intel or AMD processor (also known as x86_64 , x64 , and AMD64 ) Intel VT-x with EPT or AMD-V with RVI. Intel VT-d or AMD-Vi (also known as AMD IOMMU)]

Microprocessor of my HP Pavilion Laptop is Intel® Core™ i7-6500U with Intel® HD Graphics 520, it’s Windows 64-bit which means it’s 64-bit Intel, in other words it’s compatible with Qubes OS, awesome (great)

Am i right to say so???

Waiting for your reply asap, thanks so much.

Have a nice day

It may be more complicated than that. Nobody can be sure until it’s tested. Which wifi card do you have? Does it have drivers for Linux? Qubes 4.0 uses an old Linux kernel, so it may not support new hardware well. (You may have to try Qubes 4.1 for better compatibility). Same with other things…

Hi fsflover,

After your explanation, really sounds complicated. My Wifi Card is Intel 802.11ac (1x1) Wi-Fi.

Now I have Linux Virtual Machine installed in my HP laptop, I suppose the drivers for Linux are already installed.

Qubes 4.1 still in development, in this case must wait, don’t know wait for how long.

Actually, my disk space is not sufficient (only 25.5GB left) to install Qubes OS yet, seems that I can’t install Qubes OS in the near future.

Thanks for all these info :sweat_smile:

Last but not least, is it possible to request Qubes OS to test my HP Pavilion Laptop (Model: HP Pavilion 14-al061tx)??? I mean they get this model from somewhere and test.

Have a great time.

A virtual machine does not need wifi drivers to function. You need to install Linux on actual hardware to test it.

I don’t know anything about this card, but I found this: 16.04 - How do I get an Intel Wireless 3168 802.11ac wireless card to work? - Ask Ubuntu

Qubes OS mostly relies on volunteers from community or grants. It is a non-profit. You should probably find someone who is willing to do that.

Intel® Core™ i7-6500U with Intel® HD Graphics 520

• there are 13 positive HCL reports with i7-6500U for R3.2 and R4.0
  • there are 58 positive HCL reports with HD Graphics 520

So your processor and graphics will work, but as pointed out by
@fsflover there are other factors like the BIOS (version) and network card.

If you decide to give it a try, be sure to submit a HCL report
afterwards! :wink:

1 Like

Hi fsflover :wave:,

Thanks for replying to my qns.

If I’m able to increase my SSD hard disk space then I will consider installing Qubes OS.

I’m surprised that the best computer, an Apple Macbook also not compatible with Qubes OS.

Hi Sven :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for telling me that my processor & graphics will work. But there’s still quite a number of factors which are not tested yet for my HP Laptop Model so right now I’m not considering to install Qubes OS, maybe when I upgrade my SSD Hard Disk Space or when Qubes OS 4.1 is out then I will decide.

What does submitting a HCL report mean? Do you mean if I want my HP Laptop to be given to Qubes OS to be tested, I need to submit a HCL report, is this what you meant?

But there will be an issue, I’m located in Singapore while Qubes OS located outside of Singapore.

Have a pleasant day.

Why would you be surprised about this? Apple has no reason to make hardware compatible with other operating systems; they always close all specifications and drivers, so no one can even write necessary drivers themselves. (MacOS will also probably not work on a Windows laptop well for the same reason.)

If you want to be sure your hardware works with Qubes/Linux, you should search for hardware designed for them. Most laptops designed for Linux should work with Qubes if they meet the Qubes-specific requirements.

It means you tell us (here on the forum) exactly what your hardware is and whether Qubes works on it. Basically all info in the HCL table. The community can fill the table for you.

Example of a good HCL report: [qubes-users] HCL - <Acer Aspire V3-371 >. Note that it would also be helpful to attach the .yml file, which can be generated by qubes-hcl-report tool in dom0.

It means you run a little tool in dom0 that generates a YML file. See here for an example:

Based on these files the following table is generated:

The original post by the reporter is linked, so nice reports as @fsflover mentioned contain more details: do you had to do something special to get it installed or get a specific device working?

In the end it’s a contribution by you to help other who have the same machine to find out if Qubes runs well on it. Just like you wanted to know. It doesn’t cause any action by the Qubes core team other then inform them a bit on what kind of machines are used in the field.

If we see 3 or more positive reports on a specific configuration, we will highlight it here in the forum as a recommendation for new users.

1 Like

Hi fsflover,

Oh most laptops designed for Linux should work with Qubes, this point noted, thanks for this info :smile:

So this is what submitting a HCL report means, thanks for your explanation.

Have a delightful day.

Hi Sven,

Wow so this is how a YML file looks like, thanks for showing me.

Too bad my hard disk space is insufficient to install Qubes OS so I cannot know whether it works on my HP Pavilion Laptop. Why my hard disk space is insufficient, it’s because I had installed Linux, Virtual Windows, Veil framework, Metaspoilt framework, Evilgrade for my study purposes.

Thanks for all your explanation.

Have a pleasant day.