How to troubleshoot "no wifi" in qubes

maybe this is not relevant as I am on a fresh installation and my machine was never online on Qubes (Windows / Ubuntu on the very same machine works without any issues though) but I cannot follow the guide as a fresh install does neither have iwconfig nor lspci (yes, tried both in sys-net as normal user and with sudo). Any pointers on how to proceed in such cases? I’m running on Qubes 4.1.2

Can you try with:

nmcli

?

edited

I opened a terminal in sys-net and both with/without sudo I only see lo: unmanaged from nmcli

Within dom0 I don’t see anything about wifi (scrolled through the list and also did a grep on wlan / wifi / GHz but found nothing) but found the following Network Controller:

edited

thanks - and sorry I’m noob. But I guess this looks like it is installed (in sys-net), correct?

Regarding your previous question re Kernel of my (offline) Qubes vs (online) Ubuntu:
Qubes: 5.15.94-1.qubes.fc32.x86_64 x86_64
Ubuntu: 5.19.0-38-generic x86_64

Any pointers on how to bump the Qubes Kernel version would be fantastic!

edited

ouhmm… that one is downloading stuff which doesn’t work without wifi connection, right…? Am I out of luck or any chance to download that elsewhere and copy over?

edited

Probably the best option is indeed to re-install - at which point do I provide that flag though? Can’t find any pointers in the installation guide.

If you download a fresh Qubes OS r4.1.2, you should get a menu on boot, where you can select something “Install with kernel latest” (the last on the list?) - on a fresh install, that should save you from some issues with hardware. :slight_smile:

I’m happy that dom0 didn’t show a network interface – I don’t think dom0 should ever have a network interface … it can have a device, but never an interface. :slight_smile:

managed to install latest kernel as described. I’m now on
Linux 6.1.12.-1.qubes.fc32.x86_64

The insane graphics lag is gone - GREAT!!!

But I’m still offline, on another machine (same Qubes version) I see all wifi connections - but here still nothing. The Network controller shows up from sudo lspci -v in the exact same way as the photo that I shared earlier. Still no clue how to get wifi access :-/

edited

I’m afraid that’s beyond me again. I just installed Qubes from scratch and the new kernel seems to be used because both dom0 as well as sys-net show that I’m on Linux 6.1.12.-1.qubes.fc32.x86_64 in terminal?

Edit: checking e.g. my debian-11 template and checking the Advanced settings, I do see the new kernel version being selected.

Also - I just installed firmware-libertas as outlined here and rebooted the whole machine but still not wifi visible when clicking on the network icon in the tray :-/

edited

1 Like

lmao - maxed out posts per day so had to create another account, sry!

So yes, it’s always been showing as Selected in sys-net:

Could (have?) you try/tried and pick “fedora 36” as the template for your sys-net?

Q → Qubes Tools → Qubes Template Manager → sys-net := fedora 36

2 Likes

Could (have?) you try/tried and pick “fedora 36” as the template for your sys-net?

FML - that did the trick! (Using fedora-37 tho).

Thank you @cayce & @ChrisA for the patience and support - you onboarded another Qubes enthusiast :slight_smile: :saluting_face:

2 Likes

FYI - I had to install Qubes from scratch again and this issue seems to be reproducible for me. Switching over to Fedora is the solution, good to know!

How to troubleshoot “no WiFi” -

1. Review qube settings in sys-net to make sure that WiFi adapter is
    allocated in “Devices” tab.
    Allocate if not there, restart sys-net.
  2. Check logs (Right click on qube in QM, select “Logs” from menu) - look
    for any errors relating to WiFi adapter.
    If errors relate to reset, change this setting using button on Devices
    tab of Settings.
  3. Check log in sys-net - journalctl -b - look for errors or warnings re
    WiFi adapter.
    You may see that firmware is missing - if possible install firmware in
    template. Restart sys-net.
  4. If possible try using kernel latest in qube - (QM->Settings->Advanced).
  5. Try changing template for sys-net to other distro - Fedora<->Debian

How do you install with no WiFi? See if you can use Ethernet port.Most WiFi
routers come with Ethernet ports and provide a cable (in my experience).
If this isn’t possible, if you have access to another machine, download
the packages there, and transfer to USB stick. Move the stick to your
offline machine, attack it to your template using qvm-devices tool, and
install.

Steps 2 and 3 may provide some information. You can search for that
error message and will likely find what to do.

If all you are interested in is a quick fix, run step 5 first, or
after step 1.
Sometimes simply switching template is enough.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.