How to install Bitwarden extension on Brave?

No, i must use this workaround since years for my ungoogled-chromium Browser under Debian and Fedora. The error “Could not unzip extension” usually occurs when updating the uBlock add-in, but not always.

You can find more details here: How to Manually Install Extensions (Ungoogled Chromium) | Avoid the Hack (avoidthehack!) and GitHub - NeverDecaf/chromium-web-store: Allows adding extensions from chrome web store on ungoogled-chromium. Also adds semi-automatic extension updating.

Maybe, most of the time an update of the add-ins works without problems, but sometimes not. So far I have not been able to recognize a pattern.

I’d recommend you to not use the flatpak version, instead use the official brave RPM repository, Installing Brave on Linux | Brave

• this is the genuine upstream version while the flatpak one isn’t managed by brave
  • installing extensions from the store works out of the box
  • it will update as part of Qubes OS updates, no extra work

I used ChatGPT to generate the command and this is the output I got:

[user@work ~]$ brave-browser-extension --install-extension=<dcejoghgeeihdfikhfggnkgpkojgennb>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
[user@work ~]$

In either case, I have managed to successfully install the extension. Thank you though!

I reinstalled Brave following their Fedora steps and Bitwarden installed just fine on that version, thank you for pointing this out!

1 Like

this didn’t work because your command input had character < and > without quotes, so bash took for the symbols that are used to redirect output or input.

glad you solved this :+1:

1 Like