How to install and run Microsoft Teams in Qubes?

Hi. I received a Microsoft Teams link to a video conference. I couldn’t access the conference via Chromium or Firefox because neither have the right requirements. It suggested to install the desktop application. I tried to install the application in Fedora and failed because of missing GPG key. I successfully installed Teams in Debian AppVM (not in the template; temporary install) but couldn’t access the online conference. I got the answer “we’re having trouble finding your meeting” despite the fact that the link is correct. This may be a Debian or Fedora problem rather than Qubes problem. But if anyone figure out how to install MS Teams, let me know. Thank you.

One part of the answer is qubes related: install the software in the template of the appVM where you want to use the software.

the other part is NOT qubes related: install software in linux (fedoora or debian).
Example: (for fedora) How to Install Microsoft Teams on Fedora?

There is nothing to it. Install Teams in the Debian template and then use it in a qube based on it. However, it should have also worked just in Chrome without installing anything. I doubt your issues were Qubes OS or Linux related.

I am using Teams all day long from a debian-minimal based qube. The only special treatment is that I connected one of my 4 USB controllers to that qube so it can see the webcam directly.

1 Like

I’ve experienced your exact same issue @oijawyuh. Ended up giving up on joining it. (but I don’t recall on which template I tried).

Also, I may add that microsoft really likes their monopoly. So it may be that you need to firefox to “spoof” that you’re using microsoft edge (with an extension like “user agent switcher”).

1 Like

It looks like Teams for Linux is going away at the end of this year (2022):
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=32678839

They will offer a Teams progressive web app (PWA) on Linux that will supposedly work on both Edge and Chrome browsers on Linux. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

I currenly use the version from the snap store. It has been quite stable and reliable recently as opposed to earlier on.

Ugh. Another Web app. Not being able to run on Linux in 2022 is tantamount to not being able to run on a VM in 2012.

+1 for the snap

I run multiple MS Teams snaps for the various accounts I have. Being to able to keep them separate is yet another reason why QubesOS is so compelling.

1 Like

I run MS Teams only on and iPhone for good video and audio quality and then add also join from Windows 10 App VM to share my desktop and windows files.

Hi there, I wonder if it still works like this… because I can’t make it work, just with unofficial flatpak.

Can you please explain how you do it?

Many thanks

I stopped using the Linux client several months ago, when M$ announced they would be retiring it by December 2022. Going forward running Teams in the browser is the only supported method on Linux. I wouldn’t waste any more time trying to get it to work outside of the browser.

1 Like

The old Linux desktop client still works better than the PWA in the browser, but hopefully they’ll improve that.

I made a separate Debian minimal Qube and installed the Microsoft Edge browser. Then I setup the Teams PWA, so it will open like a dedicated app. This Qube is only used for Teams, nothing else.

1 Like