How to activate Windows on Qubes safely!

I want to activate Windows on Qubes :

Can I activate it with the normal way from the settings or I should follow another way.

Just use the usual activation way in the qube (it’s ‘safe’ as it is on a common Windows activation). I also would recomment to backup the Windows qube from time to time to use it on any future QubesOS device in the future, so you never would need an activation of a new Windows installation.

2 Likes

According to this step:
The Windows license may be read from flash via root in dom0
strings < /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM

What exactly I should do to activate it from Dom0

Can I backup my Windows Qube locally ? And restore it later from external hard drive for example.
Because
I do not want to backup it online .

Hello,

Just read the license key from Dom0 Terminal and use it for the ‘usual way’ activation, that is inside the Windows template (or a standalone - depending on the way you implemented your Windows Qube)

Yes, just use the built-in backup tool called ‘Qubes Backup’. Make sure that on the right panel there’s your Windows Qube and then follow the wizard.

1 Like

To ensure a safe activation process, it’s recommended to follow the normal activation method via the Settings app. Simply go to “Update & Security” > “Activation” and enter your product key. If you’re using a genuine Windows license, the activation should complete successfully without any issues.

Do you (or anyone else) know if it’s still possible to activate windows 7 on line? I know it can no longer be done over the phone.

If you encounter any problems, you can always reach out to the Microsoft support team for assistance. You can also buy reddit windows product key to make th process easier.