How do you test RAM in Qubes?

Is there a way to run a RAM test in Qubes that is similar to what you would do in Windows?

I’ve got some issues and I want to isolate the RAM itself as being the culprit. If this isn’t possible, from a security perspective how much risk does one take booting up a live usb of a different ISO on a system that holds their Qubes installation?

Thanks.

There was a relevant option when you boot the Qubes USB stick, wasn’t there?

I guess the risk is similar to multibooting, i.e.:

firmware security - for example the other system could infect the BIOS firmware, which might enable compromise or spying on the Qubes system.

2 Likes

I’m running HEADS firmware which is a custom security BIOS that doesn’t have that kind of UEFI functionality.

I’ll probably just have to boot in to a standard OS because I can’t see how I could do it through Qubes. I guess because I run heads the risk of multibooting is greatly reduced as you have measured & attested firmware state so I will probably have to do that.

I have a barely functional Qubes setup right now, which is good, but I am also having a lot of freezing issues that aren’t explained by the load I am putting through the system.

Thanks for your response Fsflover.

1 Like

Would running memtest from heads help? I haven’t tried it myself yet but hope the link might be useful to you.
I’d be interested in ways test RAM in Qubes, too.

To see the amount of RAM available to the system in dom0 terminal:
qubes-hcl-report | grep RAM

I had a lot of freezing too. Default Xen Dom0 only uses a limited amount of RAM. To increase it go to /etc/default/grub file and find this line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT=“console=none dom0_mem=min:2048M dom0_mem=max:8192M ucode=scan smt=off gnttab_max_frames=2048 gnttab_max_maptrack_frames=4096”
Default is mem=min1024M mem=max:4096M. I changed it to 2048M and 8192M.
After that update grub off course, in UEFI: # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/grub.cfg
in BIOS MBR systems: # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Now I have a faster boot process and much less freezing.
After installing perl in dom0 you can see the whole system -hardware and software including firmware with $ inxi -bxx command.

Testing RAM on linux is difficult because you can’t test the in-use ram, using a live-system is standard for this.

If it’s your usb and you’ve verified the image on your Qubes system, I don’t see any risk in using it for a ramtest.