How do you install thinkfan in Qubes?

Hello. How do you install thinkfan in Qubes? I tried rpm -i in dom0, but i got these errors:

rpm -i thinkfan-1.2.2-1.fc35.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.32)(64bit) is needed by thinkfan-1.2.2-1.fc35.x86_64
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.33)(64bit) is needed by thinkfan-1.2.2-1.fc35.x86_64
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.34)(64bit) is needed by thinkfan-1.2.2-1.fc35.x86_64
libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3.13)(64bit) is needed by thinkfan-1.2.2-1.fc35.x86_64
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.26)(64bit) is needed by thinkfan-1.2.2-1.fc35.x86_64
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.29)(64bit) is needed by thinkfan-1.2.2-1.fc35.x86_64
libyaml-cpp.so.0.6()(64bit) is needed by thinkfan-1.2.2-1.fc35.x86_64

How can i fix that? And get thinkfan running. These links help me some.
https://wiki.loopback.org/display/KB/Mitigate+annoying+fan+noise+on+Tinkpad+running+Qubes+OS

Also… If qubes had the newest version of fedora as dom0 and not an old one, maybe this issue could been avoided overall? How can i update the dependencies?
Thanks!

qubes-dom0-update thinkfan
Run it just the same way you would on any Fedora system.

2 Likes

Much appreciated! So is this the way to install in dom0 then? Not rpm -i. I followed the wrong directions online earlier… This worked brilliant. Many thanks! I need to read the manual sometime. Thinkfan is up and running now thanks to your help. I’m new in fedora and linux.

It’s almost always the right way to install in to dom0 - because dom0
has no network access, qubes-dom0-update proxies rpm commands to an
updateVM which fetches the packages, and passes them back to dom0 for
processing.
It’s also a way to update dom0 at the command line - better to use the
Updater tool.

If this is the first time you are using thinkfan, you will likely need to
do some tweaking of the config file at /etc/thinkfan.conf : to make
sure you are using the right monitors, and that your thresholds are
sensible.

2 Likes

Great. Thanks unman! I did set it all up. I just needed help with installing it mostly. Thanks again! I will remember this. How to install in dom0.

Relevant documentation:

1 Like

CPU is over heating after last update from Qubes 4.1 rc3 to Qubes 4.1 rc4 before the fan where very quite
thanks in advance for your help
A

Has that been reported somewhere? It might be good to report so developers know this is an issue with the release candidate.

As the issue was present only in the fedora34 qubes.
I resolved it, doing a clean reinstalling of the Fedora34 template,
2nd I did a clone of Fedora34 template; in the clone template I did installed all the need apps for work. In that way I avoided to corrupt the Fedora34 Template with unverified software and/or sources, because Fedora34 is used as template for other qubes as sysnet, etc.

Installed thinkfan as described above. Enabled the service via

sudo systemctl enable thinkfan

After a reboot it still not worked (systemctl status thinkfan). There were some error messages about a non-existent /proc/acpi/ibm/fan file (although it is there). Also, it was not possible to restart thinkpad_acpi via

sudo modprobe -r thinkpad_acpi && sudo modprobe thinkpad_acpi

It turned out that in /etc/modprobe.d/thinkfan.conf

force_load=1

should be set in order to get thinkfan to start (options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1 force_load=1).

As mentioned above /etc/thinkfan.conf should be configured and tweaked as desired. These settings were given for an x230 in a linux tutorial:

tp_fan /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
hwmon /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

(0,     0,      42)
(1,     40,     47)
(2,     45,     52)
(3,     50,     57)
(4,     55,     62)
(5,     60,     72)
(6,     65,     77)
(7,     70,     80)
(127,   75,     32767)

I cannot confirm if they work properly as I’m still testing them. Btw the command sensors delivers temperature values and there is also a sensors widget available for the panel. My x230 tends to overheat lately. I guess I need to re-paste soon. For checking how thinkfan works use sudo systemctl stop thinkfan. After it has stopped and fan control is not in use, it can be re-started while showing the configured fan control level via (temperature values given above are too low for an easily overheating machine leading to a noisy fan)

sudo thinkfan -n

A post was merged into an existing topic: Thinkpad Fan noise