Hello there! You use heads? You flashed it yourself? You still have an external programmer to unbrick your device in case something goes wrong? Then your help is needed!
Heads is a community driven project. It needs board owners to test and report once in a while when massive changes are happening. This is a time like that right now.
- Heads recently enabled PR0, aka smi triggered chipset locking, where coreboot prepares the platform to have SPI accessible for read only access when locked, and where the payload effectively trigger locking just before booting the OS, which OS can only read the SPI now, even if
iomem=relaxedis passed as kernel command line option. User can deactivate it through configuration settings menu at runtime, as can be seen in PR. heads is consequently the only internal flasher of firmware through flashrom. This was merged https://github.com/osresearch/heads/pull/1373.
- It was not tested on all boards, but since enough similar boards were tested, it got merged nonetheless.
- Now Heads is bumping internal kernel from 4.14 to 5.10.5, bumping coreboot 4.13 to 4.19, enabling libgfxinit to show bootsplash early at boot while i915frmfb kernel driver drives the framebuffer again, upgraded gnupg toolstack to 2.4 and flashrom from 1.0 to 1.3 to support new boards and new security dongles and preparing next steps for new upcoming functionalities. This is massive, and testing is needed under Staging branch for merging 5.10 kernel changes, gnupg2.4 and flashrom 1.3 (testing needed) by tlaurion · Pull Request #1398 · osresearch/heads · GitHub today.
As of right now, we need more willing testers owning boards and an external programmer (ch341a 1.6+ with voltage selector is cheapest recommended one available).
The following boards need more known board owners/testers:
- t430-maximized, t430-legacy
- x220-maximized, x220 (legacy locally built with backup extracted ME,IFD nad GBE. This will probably become deprecated soon since its really not that well tested…)
- t530-maximized (with/without dgpu)
- w530-maximized (with/without dgpu)
- x230-fhd/edp mod (high res panel)
- ASUS P8Z77 M PRO
- Talos 2 (irrelevant for QubesOS as of today though)
@moderators feel free to move this post where it should be. Thought all-around-qubes but would be limited in numbers, support but not sure it applies.
also opened Heads needs testers with external programmers · Issue #8302 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub pointing back here. was closed.