Thinkpad P15 Gen 2

Thinkpad P15 Gen 2.
Model no. 20YQ004FUS

Everything appears to work. The wireless radio required a very simple fix as reported by @cheerfultuck over here to get it up and running.

I plan on returning this machine in the next few days since my Librem 14 order finally arrived. So I have not thoroughly tested it if anyone has any requests for specific tests they want me to check post here and i will do my best. Please include noob friendly instructions if you have a task I need to perform.

It’s a beast. Intel i9 8 core 64GB ram, etc. This model has two graphics cards both the nvidia and Intel. Unlike my P51, I can not find an option in bios settings that allows you to disable the nVidia chip. Whatever the case, everything appears to work out the box. The only thing I did prior to installing is disable secure boot since i think that is a windows specific feature.

Tested on Qubes 4.1 rc2.

The shortcut function keys (e.g. brightness up/down, volume up/down) works. Not sure what else is to say?

1 Like

Oh one thing i had to do was disable the bluetooth in bios it was causing problems in sys-usb (on/off)

i forgot to attach the hcl here it is

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  LENOVO
model: |
  20YQ004FUS
bios: |
  N37ET34W (1.15 )
cpu: |
  11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11950H @ 2.60GHz
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:9a36] (rev 05)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics] [8086:9a60] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
  NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:24b7] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz (rev 1a)
  Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-LM (rev 03)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.10.76-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK

---

2 Likes

Thank you @ewokky for this HCL report, which is now online.

anyone needs me deep dive and test anything on this machine let me know please i am going to return it this week

this machine was returned

it was unable to connect to external displays.

probably the fact it has nvidia gpu.

please update hcl to reflect this

1 Like

Done.

Slightly different specs (Intel i7 11850h, rtx a4000) but very similar experience.
Works out of the box, I just made sure to turn off secure boot.
Only have used it for a few days so I haven’t tested extensively but have had no big problems so far.
Had to change screen resolution to something less than 4k though, or else everything was super tiny. Wondering if there is a better workaround for that.
Suspend seemed to work the one time I tried it.
I also got it to connect to my TV, though Qubes didn’t ask to accept the HDMI input as it usually does for my wireless usb keyboard + mouse so not sure what was going on.
In terms of bluetooth I don’t really use it in general so not something I am that inclined to test but I do not seem to have the problem of it turning on/off (unless I’m just not noticing it doing so in the background).

On an unrelated note, anyone know the state of using Solidworks on a Windows AppVM in 2023? I know there was someone a few years ago that was having trouble because Solidworks (I assume) blacklists everything but a few select virtualization environments. Anyone know if some reliable spoofing method exists.

Also a suggestion: adding a mention to turn off secure boot in bios in the installation guide would be helpful as I wouldn’t have known had I not been lurking around the forum.

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
  LENOVO
  20YQS10800
  N37ET43W (1.24 )
  11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11850H @ 2.50GHz
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
  Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:9a36] (rev 05)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
  Intel Corporation TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics] [8086:9a60] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz (rev 1a)
  Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-LM (rev 03)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.15.94-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK

---

1 Like

small follow-up:
updated bios to 1.27 and everything seems to still work fine.

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
  LENOVO
  20YQS10800
  N37ET46W (1.27 )
  11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11850H @ 2.50GHz
1 Like

Thank you @hypercube for your HCL report, which is online now!