HCL - ThinkPad P1 Gen 5

Remarks

Problems are similar to the ones described in someone else’s HCL for HP Elitebook 860 G9.

Graphical issues

Qubes installer is visually very slow, it takes a few seconds for a single frame to render, in fact I installed Qubes on a different laptop, and then moved the disk to this one. After install, Qubes produces graphical artifacts that can be fixed by Graphics artefacts with Intel UHD Graphics 770 and kernel 5.17.7 · Issue #7507 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

Also I had to change KDE rendering backend to XRender, because when using OpenGL (i.e. hardware acceleration) animations are too slow, and CPU load is too high.

Not able to set native 165Hz refresh rate of laptop display, only 60Hz option is available.

WiFi doesn’t work

ax211 wifi card doesn’t work. It is soldered to the motherboard, so I was not able to replace it with something else. Instead, as a workaround, bought a USB WiFi adapter.

Suspend doesn’t work

There is an option to set sleep mode in UEFI.

Windows and Linux (s2idle) - in this mode the laptop never wakes up, have to hard reset.
S3 Linux (deep) - in this mode the laptop suspends-and-wakes properly, but only a first time. After a second attempt it suspends, and then immediately wakes up.

Other issues

Usb qube sometimes doesn’t start - sys-usb sometimes fails to start · Issue #6824 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

Attachments

layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  LENOVO
model: |
  21DCCTO1WW
bios: |
  N3JET24W (1.08 )
cpu: |
  12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12800H
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:4641] (rev 02)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:46a6] (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Device 51f0 (rev 01)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.18.16-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK

1 Like

Thank you @tegas for your report, which is online now!

@tegas Just in case you are still looking to solve your wifi issue, there is a fix: AX211 Fails to Start on a range of kernels/firmwares (5.18.9, latest) - #22 by makuoly

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I can confirm that wi-fi works when sys-net has kernel upgraded to 5.19.9.