Lenovo Thinkpad P1 Gen 3

Remarks

Pretty pleasantly surprised that the machine doesn’t require a great deal of troubleshooting. After enabling Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode, the Suspend/Wake issues familiar to Thinkpads of the past were cleared up

BIOS Settings Updates

1. Security – disable secure boot
  2. Config – enable Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode
  3. Power – Changed Sleep State to linux

What’s been tested:

1. :white_check_mark: Camera
  2. :white_check_mark: Mic
  3. :white_check_mark: Wifi
  4. :white_check_mark: Suspend/Wake (see BIOS settings)
  5. :x: Touch Screen (on login, there is a notification that access to the device was denied)
  6. :question: Bluetooth (unneeded, untested)
  7. :x: i3 window manager slow screen redraws; unstable behavior – scratchy artifacts display while redraw occurs; sometimes this will cause an application to crash (e.g. rapidly increasing XFCE terminal font size). Similar behavior at LUKS password prompt at boot, but does not cause serious issues.

Attachments

layout:
‘hcl’
type:
‘notebook’
hvm:
‘yes’
iommu:
‘yes’
slat:
‘yes’
tpm:
‘unknown’
remap:
‘yes’
brand: |
LENOVO
model: |
20TJS03100
bios: |
N2VET38W (1.23 )
cpu: |
Intel(R) Core™ i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz
cpu-short: |
FIXME
chipset: |
Intel Corporation 10th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:9b44] (rev 02)
chipset-short: |
FIXME
gpu: |
Intel Corporation CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] [8086:9bc4] (rev 05) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
FIXME
network: |
Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH CNVi WiFi
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

• works:
    ‘yes’
    qubes: |
    R4.1
    xen: |
    kernel: |
    5.10.112-1
    remark: |
    FIXME
    credit: |
    PB
    link: |
    FIXLINK

1 Like

After about 2 days of use, ran into my first issue:

I am an i3 window manager user. i3 exhibits some unstable drawing behavior. Redrawing of visual elements (window resize, text, etc…) causes what I think can be described as ‘artifacts’. The updated area of the screen is slow to refresh, and in the second or so it takes, it displays short, horizontal lines – basically pixel garbage. Mostly, it makes i3 very unpleasant to use, but sometimes several screen re-drawings will cause the application to crash (e.g. rapidly increasing font size in XFCE4 Terminal).

The only other time I have seen this behavior on this machine is on the LUKS unlock prompt on boot. Typing in the password field exhibits similar “scratchy” artifacts.

XFCE4 does not have this issue. So maybe it’s the i3 compositor? FWIW, I’m seeing that the i3 package source has not been active for a while.

i3 tearing/artifacts issue resolved by creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the following contents and rebooting:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "intel"
EndSection

Thanks to @DVM for the solution: R4.1 i3 window manager refresh issues - #3 by DVM

2 Likes

At this point, I will use the replies as notes for actions taken to make the environment more stable/useful/comfortable.

Next up:

Scaling the UHD display, so as not to go blind.

This article helps a lot: Qubes Community - DPI Scaling

Briefly, in dom0, I made these changes to /etc/Xresources:

Xft.dpi: 192

(I believe I rebooted for changes to take effect)

And did the following in the fedora34 TemplateVM:

Changed /etc/dconf/db/local.d/dpi:

[org/gnome/desktop/interface]
scaling-factor=uint32 2
text-scaling-factor=2.0

Then ran dconf update.

After regular use, it was pretty clear there were audio issues with R4.1.1 and the P1 Gen 3. Audio would work periodically, and then degrade to the point there was no output. I was never able to pinpoint the actions that led to the degradation. I came across this post:

In short, creating an /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf file with the following contents coincides with functioning audio:

options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1

This is a completely unscientific assessment, as I currently don’t have the patience to test it thoroughly.

2 Likes