Guide: Xfce global dark mode in Qubes 4.0 / 4.1

Sorry, not a Fedora user.

I installed qgnomeplatform and it works. But maybe there is a simpler solution.

1 Like

Is there a workflow for a dark mode (themes, icons) for Debian 12?

I wouldn’t expect any of this to have changed significantly between Debian 10,11 and 12. And I’d give a try to the instructions at the end of the guide (direct link that wasn’t a direct link, my mistake, but there is a table of contents!).

If you find those to work to your satisfaction, it may be worth updating the guide to mention Debian 12, or to remove the numbers and leave only Debian :slightly_smiling_face:

If you are referring to Nautilus being broken, it’s because it doesn’t use standard GTK themes in Gnome 44.

It always uses the gtk.css from ~/.config/gtk-4.0

You can overwrite ~/.config/gtk-4.0/gtk.css with the 4.0 css file from the theme you want to use, at least that worked for me.

This file with:

/* QUBES BEGIN */
/* Do not modify text until end marker, it will get overriden on update */
/* See https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/8081#issuecomment-1473412028 */

header :stuck_out_tongue: ?

Do you know another way to apply themes to nautilus?

You can add the qubes specific changes to the end of the theme, and it’s likely to overwrite any conflicting changes done by the theme.

Also it looks like QT workaround is broken in Debian 12 somehow. It not apply to KeepassXC. Also it looks like it scaling down fonts in nautilus.

Any idea about keepasxc in debian-12?

Damn… just found that I need to use View → Theme → Classic (Platform-native) from the menu…

I have Fedora based AppVMs and I followed the process of this guide, but:

1. Upon installing gnome-tweaks there was a popup saying:
    “extentions has moved. extensions management has been moved to gnome extensions. we recommend downloading gnome extensions from flathub if your distibution does not include it”
    Also, I don’t have that option “Appearance > Applications”, instead, I have “Appearance > Legacy Applications”, and switching it to Adwaita dark didn’t apply a dark theme on the files browser.

Is there an up-to-date guide to apply dark theme for the AppVMs?

What works for me on Q4.1 for both Fedora- and Debian-based AppVMs is:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface color-scheme "prefer-dark"

Execute this in the templates as well as all AppVMs (and DVM-templates to have the effect persist in DVMs).
I did not have to install any software, such as gnome-tweaks (though the package does seem to be installed by default in the standard debian-12 template).

2 Likes

On xfce-flavor templates and AppVMs / DVM templates my above suggestion doesn’t seem to work, but the following does:
xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/ThemeName -s "Adwaita-dark"