Google Meet, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, YouTube Video | 2023 update

In the past I fixed my video issues by a combination of increasing the memory for usb-sys to 400 MB and using Firefox on Debian 11 (instead of Fedora) and changing the Firefox settings as described here:

But Debian updated Firefox ESR and now again I am having the same issues for online video meetings.

I am not trying to downgrade my Firefox Debian but after 2 hours I so far have not been successfully use the older version in disposable cubes ets and the new version of Firefox still starts.

I wonder if there is any update / improvements made on this?

I also propose sys-USB is set by default to 400 MB.

I propose the help file to be updated so it includes the instructions for the general audience, journalists, etc to fix this as most people today need video conferencing just as much as things like email.

What’s your issue exactly? They all work for me

hick ups in video and audio during calls making it impossible to hear and follow the conversation.

You could try:

• increasing the number of CPU for the VM with the browser
  • reduce the size of the window
  • reduce the number of remote webcams displayed (depending on the platform, you usually have a choice too only see the person speaking)
  • hide your webcam from your screen if possible, it’s drawing CPU for little benefit

This is real an issue though, and at the moment, the only fix is to throw the most CPU power available to the meeting qube. They all require heavy GPU acceleration, which is missing in qubes.

I have just been able to get Firefox 91 to run again and video calling goes smooth. There is an issue with Webrender.

However it took me a really long time and work-arounds to try get Firefox 91 installed again.
I assume there must be an easier way to install an older version from Firefox from the Debian repository but I did not know how to do it.

I use brave and fedora-38 smoothly after installing

pulseaudio pulseaudio-qubes qubes-audio-daemon qubes-core-agent-networking tinyproxy --allowerasing

I keep having trouble. Audio hicks, which I links to how QubesOS assigns CPU power to the Qube with small pauses, causing the hickups.

So it’s an audio issue not video issue, I suppose? I met similar situations before and my solution was to attach a USB headphone to the qube via the device widget. After attaching the headphone, the sound was clear in the headphone.

I could solve my trouble using Chromium browser, which I have now installed in a Disposable Cube.