Global scaling for tiling window manager

I’m using awesome instead of xfce. Is there a simple way to scale all VM and dom0 by 100%? I’ve scaled in other distributions with Xft.dpi 192 in .Xresources but I’m not sure where to place .Xresources so that it applies everywhere.

edit: I’m starting to think that it’s impossible to have 1 .Xresources apply to dom0 and all VMs. Will I need to make a .Xresources file in dom0 and in each VM template?

1 Like

I think you can Salt .Xresources to be applied to all the templates.

I’m starting to think that it’s impossible to have 1 .Xresources apply to dom0 and all VMs

You think right. It’s Qubes Os core: isolation/compartmentalization. :slight_smile:
(technically, with qrexec, startup script and dom0 policies, ‘maybe’ you could
achieve this (i don’t know), but do you really want this, probably not)

Will I need to make a .Xresources file in dom0 and in each VM template?

Yes.

For all templates, your file (.Xresources) need to be in 2 places:

• /etc/skel/.Xresources
    Content of /etc/skel/ will be copied (upon creation) to the home directory
    of appvm based on that template.
  • /home/user/.Xresources
    if you need to execute something in your template (e.g. xterm).
    (you can avoid this by managing your templates inside dom0)

For dom0, you need to configure the setting in:
menu > System Tools > Appearance > Fonts > Custom DPI settings
The configuration file is located at:
$HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml

.Xresources in dom0 should work as well, i guess.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks @szz9pza and @enmus. I will need to spend some time reading about salt and /etc/skel since I’m not familiar with either.

Eventually I want to have the same config files for neovim/other programs in dom0 and all templates. Copying files to /etc/skel seems to be the easier of the 2 options to get started with. Salt seems like a powerful tool that will require a lot more time to learn.

1 Like

[deleted, to redo as a reply to vxc]

I’ve been working with salt for a couple of months now and still feel like I’m at the chimpanzee level with it. I’m still using regular bash scripts to invoke it because I can’t keep .sls files from stepping on each other in a .top file under some circumstances.

However, don’t let that discourage you; I’m much better off with this hybrid usage than I was with the pure scripts. Salt is automatically smart enough to not make changes where they’re not needed. (For example, it won’t choke just because step 1 is to create a VM…if the VM is already there. It just moves on, and only updates things that are changed. Furthermore, if (in my old scheme) I loaded software packages A1, A2, and A3 on qube A, then cloned that to qube B and installed B1 and B2 on that, then cloned B to C and installed C1 on it…well with Salt I can go directly to making C from scratch…and salt will obligingly load all of the mentioned packages on it; it doesn’t need the “ancestor” qubes, necessarily, to function. (That’s because my configuration files include their prior configuration files.) I could never do this with my scripts. (I could probably have arranged it that way but it would have been much tougher.)

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. I will read more about salt. It sounds like it’s a worthwhile thing to learn.

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I tried creating a .Xresources file with Xft.dpi: 192 in /etc/skel and in /home/user in my fedora template. I also tried editing the dpi in /etc/X11/Xresources in the fedora template. The text is very small. Please let me know if I am missing something obvious.

edit: I removed gnome-settings-daemon and text is appearing larger now. 4k font size dom0 vs vm - #10 by Sven

My bad, I should have mention I’ve test it on minimal-template.

No problem. I learned a bit from this thread :slight_smile: .