Framework Laptop 12th gen (Alder Lake)

Did you do any performance tests? I’m considering upgrading to Alder Lake, but I’m worried about how Xen/Qubes will deal with the P and E cores - I found some threads from a couple months ago discussing that as a potential issue, but I’m not sure what the status was/is at this point.

There is no issue with P/E core, but you might want to use CPU pinning to assign specific qubes to one or the other type of core, to get the most out of the P cores.

2 Likes

On your suggestion I tried doing this, and haven’t so far seen any dramatic improvements, but I’ll try to read up on it a bit more, maybe I’m missing something. Thanks!

Nope, I haven’t done any formal testing. Based on my fairly light usage, it seems to perform well. If you want me to try running any tests in particular I can give it a try!

I have only done some very casual tests with sysbench, but the difference between ondemand and performance seems to be 15-20%, I assume this is the same difference between the P and E cores.

The advantage of the P cores was enough to convince me it’s worth it to pin the qubes, to be able to control on what core type specific qubes are running on.

1 Like

@hoytech thanks for this great post. it made the installation of a hp g9 notebook very easy!
Only two problems are left:

• When I suspend the laptop the power button led is showing that is suspended. If I press it the keyboard backlight turns and with some delay the login screen (XscreenSaver) shows up. Unfortunatly the Keyboard is not working then. So I’m not able to log in

• Audio is working out of the box (quality not perfect but it works at least). After 2-3 hours audio just stops working. I tried some stuff with pulseaudio (changing settings in audio mixer) as well as restart the service in dom0 without any success.

does anyone have the same problems?

cheers maresi

1 Like

@hoytech thank you for this post.
I have been thinking about getting this laptop as well, though i7-1280P instead of i7-1260P.

It has a fingerprint reader and I am curious to hear if you, or anybody else, have had success in using it?

EDIT: typo

The fingerprint, according to reports at the Framework Community Forums, works in any Linux machine with some newer versions of fingerprints libraries.

Fingerprint unlocking is not allowed in my threat model, so I have not tested it.

2 Likes

Thanks! Does anybody know which exact fingerprint reader device it is in Framework Laptops?

Hopefully, it is not one of the unsupported devices.

Does it play dynamic scenes in firefox on youtube at 1080p@60fps at 2x flawlessly without frame drops (can be checked with right-mouseclick → stats for nerds)?

I have no trouble with audio stopping completely, but audio does stop in VMs for me. I can still play the test sounds in pulseaudio. Is that the same for you?

The keyboard issue doesn’t happen on mine.

Tbh, YouTube just doesn’t work for me and I can’t figure out why lol
It worked when I first installed, but now videos won’t load in any VM. I’m not sure what I did to make that happen. I was going to make a post about it if I couldn’t figure it out.

You can re-download fedora-36 template anytime and create new qube based on it to check, it should work, I don’t see how and why it shouldn’t.

It happens even in debian VMs, so I think it’s a dom0 thing, but I’ll give it a try and report back

Maybe it’s a pulseaudio problem, if it has problems in dom0 than players in VMs won’t play videos too.

1 Like

I had the same in the begging that the test sound was working but no sound in the VMs. I don’t know why but sound has stopped working completely since some weeks. In the meanwhile I found a workaround for the sound. In the Audiomixer under configuration, profile I’m able to switch to off and then back to hifi quality m(three to four times) an then sound is working again

Did you configured the deep sleep Option for the kernel to start like hoytech described it? Which HP model do you have?

Hello,
I can’t get the AX210 wifi card to work at all. I did remove the .pnvm.xz(fedora 36) file as others suggested but it didn’t do anything.
Any idea how can I get my wifi card to work? I saw that the OP used phone tethering for an inital internet connection but that didn’t work aswell(I had to set sys-firewal to use sys-usb but no luck).

Just an update from another user of the same device. I was able to remove the graphics glitches/artifacts by adding a minimal device section to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-intel.conf to switching back to the intel xorg driver. I pulled this from the Intel Integrated Graphics Troubleshooting guidance which also has additional suggestions to improve stability.. Like the suggestions in the initial report this fix does not fix the disk encryption lock screen. Just sharing for folks who find this post, but don’t know about the fixes suggested in the troubleshooting guide.

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "intel"
EndSection

On my framework, it won’t sleep. I used the suggestion, but when I turn it back on, there are no UI updates within VMs

I forgot to report back. It was something I had done when trying to create sys-audio. When I deleted sys-audio (will try again in the future) it solved the issue.