Flickering screen after 4.1 update

I ran the update to 4.1 and now there is a constant flickering when I move my mouse, type or move an open window. The window that I am trying to move and/or the main ques taskbar are the items that are flicking. I have been using Qubes for almost 2 years and this is the first time something like this is happening. I have a gefore 1060i with two monitors one connected with HDMI and the other with DVI

I have the same issue with Qubes R4.1-rc2 and qubes-gui-{daemon|dom0}.x86_64 version 4.1.19-1.fc32.

This flickering occurs when the task bar or the dom0 terminal is visible. If no dom0 terminal was started and the task bar is hidden, everything is quiet.

If you all are using Intel integrated graphics, does forcing X to use the “intel” driver help?

Unfortunately, I am using an Nvidia graphics card. Thus, forcing X to use the intel driver does not help at all and causes the X server not to start at all. I have no idea which paramters should be specified in a .conf file for Nvidia.

I am just using dom0 as guivm. So far, I don’t have the courage to use sys-gui or sys-gui-gpu on a system with Nvidia.

At least on my system, the flickering seems to be caused by the Nvidia graphics. On another system using Intel graphics, no flickering occurs.

same in my case

I’m using Nvidia. Will that solution work with that too or cause greater issues?

@GWeck
Would the following commands make a difference?

in dom0 terminal:
$ xfwm4 --replace --vblank=xpresent &

or

$ xfwm4 --replace --vblank=off &

2 Likes

The flickering stops with both commands.

I made this change permanent by entering
sudo xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/vblank_mode -s xpresent
This seems to solve the problem.

Thanks a lot for your help!

3 Likes