Fedora always needs update in Qubes Updater

On my system, Qubes Updater always indicates that all template VMs based on on Fedora 31 or Fedora 32 need an update. Even if it just seconds ago completed an update, they all still show as needing update (“updates available”).

I’m on Qubes 4.0 (fully updated) and the default-mgmt-dvm is running Fedora 32.

Is this a known issue? If not, any clues on debugging it? Couldn’t find any other messages here or on the Google Group with people complaining about this so I wonder if I’ve somehow ended up with a quirky issue.

Hi gust. Can you share the logs in the Qubes Updater? When this happened to me, it was due to a packages problem for updating VLC. I had to ignore for several months it because the problem was not in Qubes but in the software repository that prevented VLC from updating correctly. So I wonder if you are facing a similar problem with a software that is failing to update. The logs in Qubes updater or the logs when running sudo dnf update in the Terminal of Template: fedora-32 are useful as a starting point to understand the problem.

2 Likes

Hi oijawyuh, Thanks for the reply, I do have VLC installed. I’ve been able to successfully update fedora-32 within the template on the command line via sudo dnf update with no issues so not sure if that’s it, but who knows.

In terms of the logs, would this be (in dom0) /var/log/qubes/disp-mgmt-fedora-32.log or some other log? Not sure where else to look for Qubes Updater itself. In the aforementioned path I don’t see anything blocking, seems like things go OK in the entries I reviewed. Thanks for any pointers.

Hi! You can find the log in the “Details” section in the Dom0 Qubes Updater.

The VLC update problem that I faced is described here, although it was supposedly solved. You could be facing a similar problem with another software, maybe.

1 Like

I have the same somtimes, then i do a manual update either in the manager by right klick “update” on the template or terminal in the template and sudo dnf upgrade. That works, but yes, a bit annoying. Happens sometimes and sometimes not that it get “stuck” like that.

1 Like

Thanks @oijawyuh. It appears from the log inside Qubes Updater that simply nothing happens. Sometimes things DO happen, but not usually any errors, just updates, then it still says I need an update, and I run it again and get this:

Updating fedora-32

fedora-32:

ID: dnf list updates --refresh >/dev/null
  Function: cmd.run
    Result: True
   Comment: Command "dnf list updates --refresh >/dev/null" run
   Started: 13:30:16.701309
  Duration: 10946.251 ms
   Changes:   
            ----------
            pid:
            retcode:
            stderr:
            stdout:

ID: update
  Function: pkg.uptodate
   Comment: Upgrade ran successfully
   Started: 13:30:30.613692
  Duration: 21220.669 ms
   Changes:   

ID: notify-updates
  Function: cmd.run
      Name: /usr/lib/qubes/upgrades-status-notify
   Comment: Command "/usr/lib/qubes/upgrades-status-notify" run
   Started: 13:30:51.834532
  Duration: 3915.951 ms
   Changes:   
            ----------
            pid:
            retcode:
            stderr:
            stdout:

Summary for fedora-32

Succeeded: 3 (changed=2)
Failed: 0

Total states run: 3
Total run time: 36.083 s

I do wonder if it’s because the template lists conflicts when you try to upgrade. I don’t think these are errors per se more like warnings:

[user@fedora-32 ~]$ sudo dnf upgrade
Last metadata expiration check: 0:12:06 ago on SXX Jan 3X X:30:45 2021.
Dependencies resolved.

Problem 1: package vlc-core-1:3.0.9.2-3.fc32.x86_64 requires libdav1d.so.3()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed

• cannot install both libdav1d-0.7.1-1.fc32.x86_64 and libdav1d-0.5.2-2.fc32.x86_64
  • cannot install both libdav1d-0.5.2-2.fc32.x86_64 and libdav1d-0.7.1-1.fc32.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package vlc-core-1:3.0.9.2-3.fc32.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package libdav1d-0.5.2-2.fc32.x86_64
    Problem 2: package vlc-1:3.0.9.2-3.fc32.x86_64 requires libvlccore.so.9()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  • package vlc-1:3.0.9.2-3.fc32.x86_64 requires vlc-core(x86-64) = 1:3.0.9.2-3.fc32, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package vlc-core-1:3.0.9.2-3.fc32.x86_64 requires libebml.so.4()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  • cannot install both libebml-1.4.0-1.fc32.x86_64 and libebml-1.3.10-2.fc32.x86_64
  • cannot install both libebml-1.3.10-2.fc32.x86_64 and libebml-1.4.0-1.fc32.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package vlc-1:3.0.9.2-3.fc32.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package libebml-1.3.10-2.fc32.x86_64
    Problem 3: problem with installed package vlc-core-1:3.0.9.2-3.fc32.x86_64
  • package vlc-core-1:3.0.9.2-3.fc32.x86_64 requires libmatroska.so.6()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  • cannot install both libmatroska-1.6.2-1.fc32.x86_64 and libmatroska-1.5.2-2.fc32.x86_64
  • cannot install both libmatroska-1.5.2-2.fc32.x86_64 and libmatroska-1.6.2-1.fc32.x86_64
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package libmatroska-1.5.2-2.fc32.x86_64
    ================================================================================
    Package Architecture Version Repository Size
    ================================================================================
    Skipping packages with conflicts:
    (add ‘–best --allowerasing’ to command line to force their upgrade):
    libdav1d x86_64 0.7.1-1.fc32 updates 376 k
    libebml x86_64 1.4.0-1.fc32 updates 86 k
    libmatroska x86_64 1.6.2-1.fc32 updates 172 k

Transaction Summary

Skip 3 Packages

Nothing to do.
Complete!
[user@fedora-32 ~]$

I had this exact problem recently, and another problem also related to a media application. The solution that worked for me was to uninstall the problematic packages and then reinstall the one application (vlc) that is connected to them. So I recommend in the Template to sudo dnf remove vlc vlc-core libdav1d libebml libmatroska to remove the problematic packages, and then reinstall vlc sudo dnf install vlc. The right packages should be installed in this case, and update would no longer be required.

1 Like

@oijawyuh Thanks for this. The root of this for VLC seems to be libdav1d, which apparently changed its symbols in a recent version. Reports online indicate VLC package should be fixed. ffmpeg-libs has also been affected, and this package still needs to be rebuilt as of ~2 weeks ago - 1912494 – cannot install the best update candidate for package ffmpeg-libs-4.3.1-14.fc32.x86_64

So all this is to say, I tried your method, and it did not work, but probably because of the ffmpeg bug (I had both VLC and ffmpeg installed).

Removing both packages (VLC, ffmpeg) gets my template updating without warnings again and Qubes Updater works. So thanks!

In a couple of weeks I will check again if the ffmpeg-libs package has been fixed in rpm-fusion. Fingers crossed. If that works I’ll try adding back in VLC too. (For me, ffmpeg is more critical of the two.)

Weird. The conflict issues with these packages should have already been fixed. And in my Fedora 32 template, VLC and ffmpeg live happily together without causing any problems.

So Perhaps you don’t have the RPM Fusion repository enabled correctly?
You can check the repository with the following command

dnf repolist

And if correct, you should see four RPM Fusion repositories like below

[user@fedora-32 ~]$ dnf repolist
repo id                        repo name
fedora                         Fedora 32 - x86_64
fedora-cisco-openh264          Fedora 32 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64
fedora-modular                 Fedora Modular 32 - x86_64
qubes-vm-r4.0-current          Qubes OS Repository for VM (updates)
rpmfusion-free                 RPM Fusion for Fedora 32 - Free
rpmfusion-free-updates         RPM Fusion for Fedora 32 - Free - Updates
rpmfusion-nonfree              RPM Fusion for Fedora 32 - Nonfree
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates      RPM Fusion for Fedora 32 - Nonfree - Updates
updates                        Fedora 32 - x86_64 - Updates
updates-modular                Fedora Modular 32 - x86_64 - Updates
1 Like

Hi @gust. Always glad to help. I would like to reiterate that my experience with similar situation - not only with VLC & ffmpeg but with other RPM Fusion packages - is that a full uninstall followed by a reinstall should solve the problem.

1 Like

Thanks @kommuni. Here is my dnf repolist:

[user@fedora-32 ~]$ dnf repolist
repo id                        repo name
fedora                         Fedora 32 - x86_64
fedora-cisco-openh264          Fedora 32 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64
fedora-modular                 Fedora Modular 32 - x86_64
qubes-vm-r4.0-current          Qubes OS Repository for VM (updates)
rpmfusion-free                 RPM Fusion for Fedora 32 - Free
rpmfusion-nonfree              RPM Fusion for Fedora 32 - Nonfree
updates                        Fedora 32 - x86_64 - Updates
updates-modular                Fedora Modular 32 - x86_64 - Updates
[user@fedora-32 ~]$ 

As you can see I do not have the -updates rpmfusion repos. My understanding is those are testing repos; I just reviewed instructions on rpmfusion.org and it doesn’t indicate I need to install those for things to work, but maybe I’m missing something. (I prefer to run stable stuff rather than testing.)

Thanks again for your help. I did try the reinstall but it didn’t fix things. I tried again just now to be 100% sure, same issue. (It sounds like if I install rpmfusion-updates things may get fixed, I’m thinking about that…)

My understanding is those are testing repos;

No. -updates and -updates-testing are different, the former includes stable fixes. So you should have to enable the -updates repo as described in the Qubes OS guide, which is needed to fix something broken like this problem

2 Likes

@kommuni @oijawyuh Holy moly thank you both! Yes the issue is I was missing -updates rpmfusion repos. -Facepalm- I should have checked the Qubes docs yes. (I did eyeball Configuration - RPM Fusion but I must have misunderstood – it says there are two software repos, free + nonfree, but presumably they count updates as part of these, and the bit where they tell you how to install the repos uses some subshell stuff that obscured the details that four entries are added).

So yes, reinstalling now allows VLC and ffmpeg to work without any update warnings, and the updater seems to be working correctly. Thank you both again for the help!!

(Update - just learned about “likes” on here, added some in here)

3 Likes