Fedora 34 EOL? Fedora 35 template?

I have found sources e.g that say Fedora 34 is EOL tomorrow, others that says 2022-06-07. It was released ~13 months ago.

So EOL for 34 must be soon. There’s no official word from Fedora I can discover.

Trying to install $ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-35 or even 36 doesn’t work.

So what’s going on with the next Fedora template?

What stops a more rapid adoption of new templates (e.g. using 36 now), to get a full year’s use before having to upgrade again? Genuine question, not complaint.

I don’t have the skills or inclination to use something that’s in the testing repository. I am really just interested stable releases.

Am I looking in the wrong place for this information?

I haven’t seen an email from @system announcing an EOL anything so I am not panicking.

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-itl-testing qubes-template-fedora-35

Works also for fedora-35-minimal

2 Likes

The EOL (for qubes) will be announced here with a separate topic (you won’t miss that), when it’s ready to install. THEN you can install it with:

sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-35

until that, you need to grab the 35 from the testing repos, with:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-itl-testing qubes-template-fedora-35

Fedora N EOL is 4 weeks after N+2 release. So Fedora 34 EOL is 4 weeks after Fedora 36 release. 36 was released May 6th. So Fedora 34 EOL is June 3th afaik.

According to Fedora’s own documentation:

The Fedora Project releases a new version of Fedora Linux approximately every six months and provides updated packages (maintenance) to these releases for approximately 13 months. This allows users to “skip a release” while still being able to always have a system that is still receiving updates. […] We say maintained for ‘‘approximately 13 months’’ because the supported period for releases is dependent on the date the release under development goes final. As a result, ‘‘Release N’’ is supported until four weeks after the release of ‘‘Release N+2’’.

This policy is also corroborated here.

This would mean that Fedora 34 is supported until four weeks after the release of Fedora 36. Depending on which source you check, Fedora 36 was released on May 6 or May 10, which means that Fedora 34 reaches EOL somewhere around June 6-10.

This is confirmed by both Fedora 36 schedules here and here, both of which have “Fedora Linux 34 EOL auto closure” scheduled for 2022-06-07.