Fail to remove whonix-gw-15

I’m trying to remove whonix from my system. I walked through the steps on the Whonix site, but I still have one residual component, whonix-gw-15 templateVM that will not go away.

I have triple-checked the instructions but I can’t see where I am going wrong.

If I try to delete using the Qube Manager gui, I get an error:

VM installed by package manager: whonix-gw-15

If I try by terminal in dom0:

[x@dom0 ~]$ qvm-remove whonix-gw-15
This will completely remove the selected VM(s)...
  whonix-gw-15
Are you sure? [y/N] y
qvm-remove: error: VM installed by package manager: whonix-gw-15

or

[x@dom0 ~]$ sudo dnf remove whonix-gw-15
No match for argument: whonix-gw-15
Error: No packages marked for removal.

What is going on here? What package manager is it refering to or have I accidentally destroyed some kind of hook with earlier steps in the removal process?

What you are missing is…

sudo dnf remove qubes-template-whonix*

Also, I doubt you read this…

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Uninstall

yup, that worked perfectly. Thanks.

You doubt that, huh?

I did use that page. Its rich with useful information. But I found it confounding. Its crowded, visually inconsistent, quite repetitive at several levels. (Although given the nature of the terms, I guess that inevitable.)

(Please understand: Ordinarily I would have shut my mouth and been grateful - I am, it certainly works - but you’ve cast some shade my way.)

Given that Whonix is something I never used, so never bothered to understand (what the hell is a Qubes-Whonix ™ template package, anyway? Can dom0 not specify that in its error message?), its nothing like uninstalling anything else in Qubes (I think), and the site isn’t big on explaining the underlying terms (perhaps understandably), I didn’t know what I was looking for and would have problems finding it if I did.

But thanks for the tip, anyway.

its nothing like uninstalling anything else in Qubes (I think)

Templates are typically installed as packages:

I have triple-checked the instructions but I can’t see where I am
going wrong.

… that’s what provoked my doubt :wink: All good.

Cheers!