Error while compiling qubes-vm

Getting close to getting everything to build. I’m just getting some build errors, which I don’t understand where they’re coming from. Do I need to run make with sudo?

The package has been created.
Attention, the package has been created in the current directory,
not in “…” as indicated by the message above!
Selecting previously unselected package xen-build-deps.
(Reading database … 34933 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack xen-build-deps_4.8.5-35_all.deb …
Unpacking xen-build-deps (2001:4.8.5-35) …
Reading package lists…
Building dependency tree…
Reading state information…
Correcting dependencies… Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
xen-build-deps
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 9216 B disk space will be freed.
E: Can not write log (Is /dev/pts mounted?) - posix_openpt (2: No such file or directory)
(Reading database … 34937 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing xen-build-deps (2001:4.8.5-35) …
mk-build-deps: Unable to install xen-build-deps at /usr/bin/mk-build-deps line 457.
mk-build-deps: Unable to install all build-dep packages
make[2]: *** [/home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-debian//Makefile-legacy.debian:45: dist-build-dep] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile.generic:191: packages] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:259: vmm-xen-vm] Error 1

It mean:

Error: Can not write log to /dev/pts (pseudoterminal) because no posix_openpt() function to create pts

So what is your build environment and can you build in a difference environment (use a difference OS)

I’m using Fedora 33. I’m trying to compile Whonix after the qubes-vm. Not using a disposable VM till minimize configuration variables for now. Should I be using Debian for this? If I delete the Qube does that clear the used disk space?

That’s something I’ve seen myself. Other symptoms include script refusing to run, screen refusing to open a new window, you name it.

I don’t have a full diagnostic for now, but the following are probably relevant:

• qubes-builder creates bind-mounts of several dirs into its chroots (here /dev/pts is relevant, but you’ll see /proc and others)
  • in some situations after a run those mounts are not cleaned up (could not see a pattern, eg. this happened to be both on build success and build failure)
  • as a result I ran into errors when carelessly attempting to sudo rm -rf the chroots: obviously we must cleanup the mess first

Now:

• I don’t see why the unmounting of bind-mounts would end up unmounting /dev/pts
  • you did not mention going such a route, so I tend to assume you did not :slight_smile:

So we most likely have a bug in bind-mount handling (at least for the ones not getting unmounted), and this might be related (eg. could be unmounting the source of the bind-mount instead of the target).

Should I be using a Debian OS for building Whonix?

that weird

maybe you should try

Debian breaks the dependencies needed for pulling everything in. Getting the same errors just starting with the setup script, and a fresh qube. I’m using an Insurgo laptop.

Following this with updated values.