Endless Issues with Qubes 4.1.0, 4.0.4 on Librem 14v1

@dom0 Thank you for the detailed info. Replacing the device name in the Device field with its MAC address seems to fix this issue. I have done several restarts and a few system updates without the connection breaking like before.

Regarding the disposable sys-net, this is very interesting. I will have to look into this more when I have more time.

1 Like

Over the past week or so, my Qubes 4.1.0 installation has been relatively stable. However, just a few minutes ago, the OS froze/crashed on me (everything in the GUI is locked up, including mouse cursor).

I have seen a few reports of users stating that v4.1 works ā€œflawlesslyā€ on their Librem 14, but I donā€™t see how that could be. I installed the OS from a verified ISO, using the Qubes instructions, and Iā€™ve made ~0 configurations to the OS, yet the OS continues to freeze on me for no apparent reason. In this particular case, all I did was:

1. Boot up and sign in
  2. Open terminal in a fedora-34 AppVM
  3. Open terminal in a debian-11 AppVM

A few minutes later (I was reading something on my other PC), I noticed the OS froze on me. There were no updates being applied, I wasnā€™t running any other applications, and there is nothing plugged into the PC (not even the power adapter). I canā€™t imagine that I am the only one experiencing this, nor do I believe that this is the result of anything that Iā€™ve done to the OS (which again is almost nothing).

Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone else experienced OS freezes? How concerned should I be about file system damage as a result of needing to force a shutdown when this happens?

1 Like

I had issues with the first gen on Librem, because it did not have and ETH port. But on v2, I was able to get Qubes working, and not looking back.

Qubes gives options that no other OS can give youā€¦ not even close. PureOS canā€™t compare to Qubes.

Itā€™s a bit of a learning curve, but the power and flexibility it gives you is unmatched with any other OS.

3 Likes

What does journalctl in dom0 say?

Suggestion, order the minimal configuration = smallest price = lowest tax and order your RAM and storage locally. Purism has made two nice movies which shows the disassembly and assembly. Repairing Librem 14 Part 1: RAM/WiFi/Storage/Battery ā€“ Purism

Yes, best is to get directly in touch with Purism. I can confirm that crucial RAM works without any issue (hint: https://puri.sm/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/vlcsnap-2022-01-31-13h37m48s642.png :wink: ) i.e. Crucial RAM 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR4 2666 MHz

For the storage, I have no experience but it should also work fine with all mainstream M2 SSD. Also, on the linked picture you can see that Pursim equips the Librem 14 with a Samsung storage but some reported issues with Trim on Samsung I cannot share any feedback on this but I can say crucial storage works fine for me too.

2 Likes

What do you mean by ā€œv2ā€, Librem 14v1?
ā€œv1ā€ = Librem 13?

I finally updated to QubesOS R4.1 recently, and I noticed that the Screensaver is still enabled by default. I think that I read somewhere on this forum that the Screensaver can cause issues, similar to what I have read some users say about using suspend. It could be that the Screensaver is causing this OS freeze issue. I would recommend disabling it completely in the Settings Manager by selecting Mode: Disable Screen Saver. If you have already disabled it, then I am at a loss for what is causing the issue you are experiencing.

So here is a funny story: A few weeks ago, I was adding and editing my keyboard shortcuts to include shortcuts for different types of screenshots (fullscreen, window, region, etc.). I tested the shortcut that I selected for taking a screenshot of a region of the screen, but pressing the escape key did not stop the screenshot program from running. I could not click on anything, but the keyboard still worked. I did not know what to do in that moment to cancel the screenshot, so I manually powered off the computer. After booting back up, I ended up in the same situation and again manually powered off. It was not until a few weeks later that I realized that all I had to do was click and drag to select a region to screenshot, and then I could press escape to cancel it.

So that was my experience with what I thought was the OS freezing in some way, and I can say that manually powering down did not seem to cause any issues at all.

2 Likes

Youā€™re rightā€¦ the 13 didnā€™t have an Ethernet portā€¦ and sharing the network thru sys-usb didnā€™t work out so well (for me at least). The 14 has and Ethernet port, and works well with Qubes.

I am running 4.1.0 with a Librem 14v1. I definitely have the problem with the WiFi not working when suspending and resuming, and it definitely worked on 4.0 with the same laptop. I am using a disposable sys-net qube (the default).

Upon resume, within sys-net, I see the following logs in dmesg:

ath9k ... Failed to initialize device
ath9k: probe of ... failed with error -12

Restarting sys-net and re-setting up WiFi works.

2 Likes

Try to add ath9k to /rw/config/suspend-module-blacklist in sys-net

I added ath9k to /rw/config/suspend-module-blacklist in sys-net's template. Iā€™m still seeing the same problem.

1 Like

I havenā€™t read the whole replies under your post, yet. But I just want to mention that the hang-up bug that you get (in which the Qubes OS just gets frozen and doesnā€™t continue with the booting-up the OS or shutting it down) occurs from time to time on my ThinkPad X220, too (using Qubes OS 4.1).

Which is annoying indeed.

1 Like

Hello,

I have ordered Librem 14v1 with the original 64GB of RAM and 1TB SSD directly from Purism.

For the last year I have been using Qubes OS R4.0.4 - and that was very smooth experience.

This week I have decided to upgrade to R4.1 using clean install.

Issue Number 5 I was not able to resolve:

using

I mean that LUKS password is now without GUI, but when I get to the desktop the mouse still turns fuzzy around the corners and draws slowly.

There is an issue with the graphics card support, but I canā€™t work out where.

Is there anyone who solved the graphics card issue? If so what was the solution?

Thanks,
Kate

Might be relevant:

1 Like

Thanks for the link @fsflover :love_letter:

Yes, this is the exact problem, but for me it came up only in R4.1

I look forward to a solution.

I can just confirm the mouse corner issue but this is such a minor issue that is very low on my to do list. Sorry.

Needless to say, I am also interested in a quick fix :wink: Did you already ask for a solution in the purism forum?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @whoami

Just now. I will ping you a solution if found :wink:

This is indeed a minor visual issue, however, I am concerned that there is a larger underlying issue that causes x11 work slow on dom0 especially when I have about 9 VM with multiple windows, twice already the laptop froze and I had to press power button to reboot. I am not connecting these issues yet, but searching for a fix to a small issue like graphics card, it may resolve the freezing issue.

I notice these small issues as someone who had 4.0.4 for a year and that was excellent. I might just downgrade from R4.1 to 4.0.4

1 Like

The graphics card bug is visible on the video at 03:05 when entering LUKS password and input field is pixelated draws slowly.

Screenshot_2022-06-28_22-02-46

1 Like

I also wonder whether there is a performance issue related to Intel graphics. For example, when I work on a spreadsheet in LibreOffice, it is orders of magnitude slower than on my Windows machine, despite having 3 VCPUs, plenty of RAM (8 GB), and no other work to do. This may simply be because my Windows machine has a discrete graphics card, but then again, itā€™s overall much less powerful and is 10 years old, so this dramatic difference in performance is a little confusing.

I have also had several system freezes. I get one about 4 times per week. It is very frustrating. I believe this has something to do with new updates becoming available and I say this because every time my system freezes, when I reboot, there is an update available. Whonix updates seem to cause the most trouble, but this is only anecdotal at this point. Note that I get my system updates through Whonix, because why not (although I may be regretting this because this seems to be a source of instability)?

For the past several weeks, Iā€™ve also been experiencing qubes randomly and abruptly shutting down. Iā€™ll just be sitting here working and Iā€™ll see notifications like ā€œQube sys-net has shut down.ā€ I have experienced this with sys-net, sys-firewall, sys-whonix, and some of the AppVMs. I believe this is also related to updates becoming available as mentioned above. Iā€™ve noticed that, when updates become available, or I install them without rebooting the system, itā€™s only a matter of time before qubes start randomly shutting down. Have you experienced this?

The implementation of the GNOME interface variant of LibreOffice has that issue under Qubes OS. The GENERIC (looks Motif style) or the KDE implementations do not have that issue. I simple switched to the KDE version and it works great.

I used to have daily freezes as you describe (high load situations during backup or salt-based updates) with kernel 5.4 under Qubes OS R4.0 and had to stay on kernel 4.19. With Qubes OS R4.1 I am now on kernel 5.10 and have not seen any freezes yet. My laptop is a T430 with an i7-3840QM. I think itā€™s very possible your situation might be similar (kernel version related).

Iā€™ve never seen any random or abrupt shutdowns, except when I created them myself by misconfiguring qubes-shutdown-idle. Have you played with that?

2 Likes