End-of-the-road for Qubes without IOMMU?

I’ve been running Qubes 4.1 on a very old (2012!) laptop without IOMMU. 4.1 reaches EOL in July, and my understanding is that Qubes 4.2 won’t run without IOMMU support. My attempts to upgrade 4.1 in-place or fresh-install 4.2 have failed. I’m also having problems starting the Debian 12 template under 4.1 - something about a different Qubes protocol version. Anyway, my question is, is this summer the end-of-the-road for Qubes without IOMMU?

I know many people will say just get a newer laptop, and perhaps I should, but:

• This one has a nice 17" full-HD screen and room for an SSD AND TWO HDDs (OS and mirrored data respectively) AND a DVD drive; that’s not common on modern laptops.
  • Even if I found a modern machine that did the above, it would be expensive and have no guarantee to work with Qubes.
  • I just don’t want to buy a new computer when I already have a working one.

My threat model is relatively simple: no targeted attacks, just random malware delivered by web browser or email, leading to a cryptolocker or whatever the ordinary user account can get (e.g. website login passwords).

I am aware of the extra security offered by IOMMU and although I probably don’t need it myself, I see why Qubes uses it these days. However, it’s a shame that this may lead me to abandon Qubes.

It seems my ‘best’ option for running an up-to-date OS with isolation will be to use a plain host OS and add VirtualBoxes with immutable drive images for my DVMs. Which is a big step backwards for efficiency and usability compared to Qubes, but at least it will keep working and updating on this laptop. Are there any better options?

Just to clarify (so others reading this don’t get confused), Qubes 4.1 will reach EOL on 2024-06-18 (a couple days after this post). This EOL date was set when Qubes 4.2 was released (4.2 release date +6 months) and has never changed. However, as a special exception to the usual policy, Qubes 4.1 will have extended security-only support until 2024-07-31.

This one: NV41 Series 14 inch coreboot laptop - NovaCustom

is guaranteed to run Qubes as its Qubes certified. If that isn’t disco enough for you you can look at this one: V54 Series 14.0 inch coreboot laptop - NovaCustom which will soon be Qubes certified.

They have 17 inch machines as well and they do have some very lovely hardware privacy features. They also run coreboot.

It should work without IOMMU, at least I’ve installed Qubes OS 4.2.1 successfully in KVM with qubes in PV mode.