Enabling and installing from community testing repository

In my continued journey to try and get Kali up and running as a template there was a suggestion that I could install it directly from the community testing repository and install it as any other template (thank you @enmus). So I have been searching and what I have turned up is that the installation method is to execute the following type of command in dom0:

$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community qubes-template-<DISTRO_NAME>-<RELEASE_NUMBER>

So when I run the above with the Kali template (qubes-template-kali-4.0.6-202205110149.noarch.rpm) plugged into it I get an error

Specify only one package to install

If I leave our the kali package I get an error telling me that

Unknown repo: 'qubes-template-community

I got the above from : Templates | Qubes OS and have also gone down the road regarding if, or not the template is already installed, which it isn’t, so I’m sort of out of ideas, plus I’ve been at it for a few hours and am pretty buggered.

So, I am clearly out of my depth here, not for the first time. Can anybody point me to some more reading that will help enable the community repo where, presumably, I will see the template I am after and blunder along and install it from there?

Thanks for reading.

You can edit the file /etc/qubes/repo-templates/qubes-templates.repo and under [qubes-templates-community] and [qubes-templates-community-testing] set enabled = 1.

Then try installing the template via:

sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-kali
1 Like

Thanks for those instructions. I was going to give it away but I’ll run with your suggestions and give it a go tomorrow. Its a skill I want to develop., so thanks for sticking with me on it.