Draphio's Journey into the Qubes virtualization

2021 july 2nd.

• Successfully installed Qubes OS in old Thinkstation D30 [E5-2690V2, 128GB RAM, 1TB SSD, and a 32GB USB stick as attached storage]

Encountered: [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules
[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules. See 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details. (being discussed here)

and it seems it’s a rabbit hole no fix yet… well if it works why fix it.

• Installed ubuntu 20.04 as Standalone VM, and realized this OS works better without Standalone VM why am i bother install this OS… but… wait what if i install Proxmox hm…
    I learned enter and exit fullscreen alt+F11 is very handy than alt+space

• Felt really pleased with this OS.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: System shows: [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules

(made the title more specific about the issue in question)

As the title said before, i think s/he would like to create an journal log or maybe like self blog about qubes, and i’m aware if we permitted to post in this thread :rofl:

Yes, that makes sense.

I’ve reverted the title change and moved the discussion about the “[FAILED]” issue into its own thread, to keep user support stuff in #user-support and general discussion in #general-discussion. @draphios, I have also edited your post to add a link to where that issue is being discussed. I hope you don’t mind.

@draphios Feel free to continue to describe your journey here, in this thread :slight_smile: I would just ask for you to create a different topic in #user-support when you encounter an issue, if that’s OK.

1 Like

Yes,
anyway every time i encountered an issue i always tried not to ask too many question in the forum since almost everything already there. thank you for your thoughtful consideration.

2021 July 4th.

• Installing proxmox in Qubes Standalone VM correctly, needs a lot workaround which is not easy. (i wonder if my spare time able to keep up with the solution).
  • Moving my 2nd daily driver into Qubes-OS, a lot of update happening since, the team is really doing a great job with Qubes.
  • Ubuntu Standalone VM works fine. I learn that Standalone VM is more resource hungry it’s running smoothly with 6 Thread 16GB RAM.
2 Likes

2021 July 15.

• I plugged qubes into 4K TV monitor, in dom0 and in all domains text become unreadable, i learn that configuring dom0 appearance is simple
    System Tools > Appearance
    however not that simple with domains
    with domain that using fedora one can use this setting in terminal and see which is best
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor 1.2
    but I’m too lazy for debian template so i’ll use as it is
    i use this way
2 Likes

2021 July 21

• I had missed 1 solution about [Failed] Failed to start Load Kernel Module. after reading FAQ pointed by @unman in this thread this thread i don’t mind the cosmetic error. also thank you to @deeplow for opening support thread. I’m glad the community is so supportive.
3 Likes

2021 November 2nd

• Been so busy almost have no time to leisure with my hobbies, while printing stuff i broke my printer so i bought new one and install it into this pc, rather than usual USB i use network printing protocol, hooked into office public router, this hub used by many peoples so this printer will be really useful for them too, so for my pc it connect to an isolated appVM so whenever pervert colleague tries to peek into my printing pc they only will find a cat pictures hahaha.
  • what i did to install HP network printer into debian-11-minimal template is like this:
    dom0 terminal:
qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-itl-testing qubes-template-debian-11-minimal

since my HP printer don’t need image viewer, pdf viewer, and stuffs so i don’t need to install gthumb, xsane, etc.

qvm-run --pass-io -u root debian-11-minimal “apt install --no-install-recommends qubes-core-agent-networking qubes-core-agent-network-manager gnome-keyring samba smbclient hplip-gui nauttilus qubes-core-agent-nautilus zenity -y && poweroff”
qvm-run -u root debian-11-minimal xterm

debian-11-minimal terminal:

sudo hp-setup

after finish configuring the printer

sudo poweroff
1 Like

for 4K monitor i found another documentation well done.

https://github.com/Qubes-Community/Contents/blob/master/docs/customization/dpi-scaling.md

2 Likes