Dom0 oddities with qvm-run --pass-io

qvm-run --pass-io <src-vm> 'cat /path/to/file_in_src_domain' > /path/to/file_name_in_dom0

creates on the first of two bare-metal Qubes OS installations only an empty file with no content is generated whereas in the second, no problems are found for the identical command.

I also noticed on the first problematic installation a file called “Qubes-HCL…yaml” which the system seems to have created containing some FIXME tags.

Could you be more specific?

Which second?

In which full path?

first: bare metal desktop
second: bare metal desktop w/ almost identical hardware

works well, my mistake to forget the cube name but -v did not complain either. EDIT -v now included.

[user@personal qvm-screenshot]$ cat /home/user/QubesIncoming/dom0/Qubes-HCL-Micro_Star_International_Co___Ltd_-Cubi_N_JSL__MS_B0A1_-20220715-200349.yml
---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'desktop'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
model: |
  Cubi N JSL (MS-B0A1)
bios: |
cpu: |
  Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver N6000 @ 1.10GHz
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:4e26]
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation JasperLake [UHD Graphics] [8086:4e71] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz (rev 01)
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.15.48-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK

---

I guess, I prefer to delete all that from here whence you have seen it. :slightly_smiling_face:

(I’ve made the title more specific)

1 Like

Can you reproduce that behaviour?

Move /home/user/QubesIncoming/dom0/Qubes-HCL-Micro_Star_International_Co___Ltd_-Cubi_N_JSL__MS_B0A1_-20220715-200349.yml to a backup location. Then run qvm-run again. Watch out for typos. Give us the command line in full (copy&paste).

Most likely a typo in the name of the sourceVM.

Don’t worry, I only have one eye.

No, I paid attention: the problem is not reproducible.

My only advice would be to empower -v to give the user an error message when that happens.

(Moved to User Support)

1 Like

This usually happens if one misspells the name of <src-vm>. Check your ~/.bash_history in dom0.

Grep for qvm-move(-to-vm) or qvm-copy(-to-vm) in your ~/.bash_history in dom0.

1 Like