Dom0 Doesn't Always Show Updates Available

Well, no, because selecting dom0 in the Qubes Update tool is already part of “updating via Salt.” So, if you update via Salt, but it fails, then you might miss out on updates, which is the whole point of the “second pass.”

Well, I suppose you could use the Qube Manager for the “second pass” instead of the terminal commands.

1 Like

Had this reported a while back, Dom0 not checking for updates

1 Like

Oh. Wow. I hand not realized this had been going on for such a long time! This is serious.

I would swear that I can’t remember when was the last time I was notified that dom0 has updates. So, I’m doing it together upon other qubes’ update notification

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s specific to dom0, but Qubes Update doesn’t always notify me of updates. Usually when I start a qube, I then get the notification. Sometimes I don’t get any notifications even if the cube is running. I only noticed because when I manually run Qubes Update, the log shows new updates were completed. I manually run updates at the beginning and end of the day anyway. I was never too bothered to post on it until seeing this.

It happened again: I received a notification of update for Fedora, ticked dom0 update manually and it was updated too.

Updating dom0
local:
----------
qubes-gpg-split-dom0:
----------
new:
2.0.58-1.fc32
old:
2.0.57-1.fc32

without prior to be notified, but I’m not sure if there’s some time interval between 2 notifications defined for dom0, or in general (how to check that?). I think I manually updated dom0 2 days ago.

I read the entire thread and found that no one had created an issue.

The issue is #7437.

2 Likes

The #7437 and #7417 issues are now closed with a new version of the qubes-core-dom0-linux package published yesterday as stable:

Note: do the below actions only if you understand what you do.

First you should do a manual dom0 update (all the details are in this thread), you will get qubes-core-dom0-linux-4.1.21. Then later when a new update will be available you will get again the dom0 update notifications:

dom0-update

3 Likes

Awesome! I saw now my dom0 updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

same here! (working again [for me])

1 Like

confirm, earlier today dom0 updates flashed up

Same here. I got notified of Dom0 updates.

Related question: when Dom0 updates show up, is there a place where I can go to see what these updates are, before I proceed with updating? Or is there a command that I can run in Dom0 that tells me what the updates are?

2 Likes

had exactly the same thought when the dom0 updates happened, actually prefer to see what is going to be updated

don’t understand for sure. I got NO dom0 updates since a rather long time.
Is the posting marked as solution the workaround for everybody or will it be solved in regular way (via dom0 update)? Because there stands " do the below actions only if you understand what you do."

So I don’t understand this core-admit-thing :slight_smile:

With the below issue request filter (most important is r4.1-dom0-stable):

1 Like

Not a workaround, the problem is solved. Please, reread the post tagged as the solution.

the thing is, I did not have any updates for dom0.
How can I check the installed version of qubes-core-dom0-linux-xyz?

dnf list PACKAGE_NAME

For GUI, in Qube manager, About->QubesOS->Version Information

thanks… so I have 4.1.21.1.fc32
As it seems it’s updated and the issue is now solved?