Does anyone had success with Ryzen 6xxx and 7xxx CPUs?

Does Qubes OS (even 4.2) work with Ryzen 6800h or 7735h and similar CPUs? Who can confirm?

1 Like

4.2 in hcl with ryzen

Ryzen 9 7900x AMD Integrated Graphics (AMD) & RTX 2080ti 
Ryzen 5 5600H AMD Integrated Graphics (RX Vega 8 5000) & GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile 

only me and 1 other user who can confirm.

no need to do anything in 5600h

2 Likes

With ryzen 6800h on Qubes R4.1, you may need minor tweaks to get the installer and the OS booting. Search for x2apic in the forum and you’ll see detailed instructions.

Doesn’t know if this is still a problem with R4.2.

2 Likes

I have had success installing Qubes 4.2 rc1 onto ASUS TUF Gaming A16 FA617NS with Ryzen 7735HS. It was important to add x2apic=false option to make it work. Still testing.

1 Like

Thanks. Please let me know how is it going

Overall, it works well, I anticipate moving to it as my daily driver when 4.2 is released. I need to pause my testing for now, so posting what I have observed so far below.

• It is required to set x2apic=false before the first boot to successfully configure sys-net/sys-firewall qubes. If this parameter is set, then the whole process of installation, qubes configuration, and first launch goes without errors.
  • Suspend does not work, the laptop hangs when going to sleep.
  • The iGPU renders the UI smoothly, not like the last time I started to use Qubes with a modern Intel CPU.
  • Fresh installation of Qubes OS boots fast - it takes a little over a minute.
  • Battery seems to be discharging around 3 times faster when watching a video compared to doing the same in Windows.

I also encountered a few minor issues with Qubes specific to this laptop, but they seemingly out of scope of your question.

1 Like

Helpful report, thanks another time.

Ryzen zen3+ and zen4 architecture is good only for one reason - energy efficiency. But Qubes is bad in that subject.
It would be interesting to test energy efficiency intel 12/13th gen vs zen4 in Qubes. Maybe there would be no difference. In this case Intel could be a better choice, cause you can pin only E-cores (energy efficient cores) to VMs and probably we will have more running time on battery.

E-cores are more efficient at low load. If you push them too hard ( like making them do video decoding) they are likely to become less efficient than P-cores.

So the trick is not to push anything too hard. If I do not watch video on qubes, just text editing and web browsing I can get around 6 hours of battery life with zen3 apu and a 60wh battery.

1 Like

What CPU do you have?

6 hours of browsing with 60wh - seems AMD energy effeciency works. And due to software video decoding in Qubes it causes more power drain than in Windows/Linux where GPU is decoding video stream.

for the battery i also notice that the legion 17ach6 (ryzen 5600) can stand for 4h or more from 60 to 0 while the legion 15imh05h (i7 10750h) only around 4h on 100, no need to tell what apps i use, it do same for both laptop as my daily use.

also you should consider when using > ryzen 5xxx your sys usb may not work (power off when pass thru)

2 Likes

CPU is powering off when you passthrough? Sys-net too?

Could you explain more in detail why sys-usb will not work on ryzen 6800? Is there a work around?