https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/disposablevm-customization/ makes a (by the volume of text, large) distinction between Static and Custom DisposableVMs, but I can’t see it.
From the qvm-create of the DispVM on, it seems to me the two are identical. Am I missing something?
The only custom[ization] I see is in the DisposableVMTemplate AppVM, where in the Custom case changes are made. However, this step is listed as (optional) - if not done, hasn’t a Static been created?
To phrase the issue a different way, aren’t there really only 2 types of DisposableVM:
- “dispNNNN” DisposableVM:
– NOT pre-created
– template has appmenus-dispvm set to 1
– dispNNNNs are created on the fly
- “Named” DisposableVM:
– IS pre-created
– uses the same name every time
And at the DisposableVMTemplate level, a given DisposableVMTemplate AppVM can be:
- Customized (changed from its underlying TemplateVM) or not as needed
- At the same time the template for any number of “dispNNNN” as well as “Named” DisposableVMs
If the above is accurate, it seems to be a simpler (3 vs. 2 types), more concise view of both levels.
So, the question is: What am I missing or mis-understanding?